Categories:

Teachers of Ayala: Matthew Ullmann

Mr. Matthew Ullmann in front of his classroom ready to spread his knowledge to his students.
Danviga Karthik

As students pile into the biology classroom, the lab buzzes with excitement as they gather around their tables. Among the chatter, Mr. Matthew Ullmann stands at the front, not just eager to fill his students’ brains with knowledge, but to further create a community. With a passion for the dynamic subject and a genuine care for his students beyond academics, he transforms the classroom into a space for learning and personal expression. 

Ullmann teaches both College Prep (CP) and Honors Biology, and has created a classroom experience that stays with his students through creative and original teaching methods. His interactive labs and unique lessons allow his students to engage with the world of biology more extensively. 

One time we did something called ‘organelle speed dating’ where the room is decorated all fancy with lights and candles for a romantic vibe and it was really fun,” Madelynn Tsai (9) said. “We would walk around the room and get to know the other ‘organelles.'”

His creative way of educating his students is a staple in his unique teaching style. To keep his students motivated, he introduced “Ullmann Dollars,” a fun way to reward students for either participation, academic achievement, or good behavior. 

“His class is pretty unique. At the end of each day he tells us a joke and whoever can get it gets something called an Ullmann Dollar where we can use [it] for added points on tests and quizzes,” Tsai said. “It allows us to have a positive environment.” 

His involvement on campus and with students doesn’t stop with teaching; Ullmann is the advisor for various clubs, including National Honors Society, E-Sports, Sending Love, Creativity with Consideration, and Hope 4 Youth. His commitment to advising many student-led clubs promotes connection and community within students, showing his continuous effort to make campus a better place. 

“I hope students acquire a sense of community within these clubs,” Ullmann said. “Clubs are a great way to form friendships with people that share similar interests with you and we thrive when we are in community.” 

Ullmann is greatly committed to the success of his students, often reminding them that hard work and dedication pays off, especially in high school. He encourages students to take ownership of their own learning and tells them to acknowledge that mistakes are a part of the learning process. 

“I do not expect students to be the absolute best compared to all their peers, but rather the best of their own ability,” Ullmann said. 

While being encouraging of success, Ullmann is also known for his efforts to get to know students on a personal level. He takes the time to acknowledge all his students individually as best he can and offers advice to those who need it. This effort to build relationships with his students is an important part of his teaching philosophy. 

“Mr. Ullmann supported me when I was sharing my experience with an injury,” Kate Lee (9) said. Since he was a cross-country coach, he understands where I am coming from and what I am going through, and provides me with advice.”

Ullmann’s philosophies and teaching methods have certainly had a great impact on his students. His passion for creating an understanding environment and providing support to his students have proved useful, shaping their inspirations for their futures. 

“Mr. Ullmann and his class has definitely influenced me to pursue a career in medicine in the future,” Tsai said. “Because of his class, I realized that bio is actually pretty interesting and I feel like I would love a career in the future [that has something] to do with it.”

Ullmann has all the qualities of an exceptional teacher from his valuable advice to his commitment to the well being of his students. He leaves a lasting impression through his inspiring words of affirmation and continues proving that education is beyond the things he teaches: it’s about building a community that his students will remember forever.

View Story Comments