Categories:

Homecoming theme drastic shift: From Tokyo to Greece

With the sudden change in homecoming theme, many students were confused as to why this may have happened.
Nicholas Tovmasyan

Every year once school comes in session, love finds its way to students sparking a romance. Eventually a special night for high school students comes Homecoming. The proposals for couples soon occur along with what the theme for the night is. But for Ayala, it was different.

Although there was no big reveal, the student announcements had stated that the theme for this year’s homecoming was “A Night in Tokyo.” But after confusion and debacle over the theme, it was changed to “Night on Mount Olympus.” This drastic change in theme set off confusion among students, triggering questions as to why the theme was changed.

Despite the confusion, many students accepted the theme and began to take a liking for it. While many thought that it was interesting to pick such a niche theme, others felt that the change in theme offered a clearer idea on how to dress.

“I definitely like it more than the other [theme] because I think the theme is easier to follow, and people can dress better and more customized to this theme than to ‘A Night in Tokyo,’” USB member Elizabeth Yu (10) said.

Although many have taken an affinity for it, many were confused about the change. The change occurred because the theme was considered to be geared towards only one ethnicity with the title “A Night in Tokyo.”

“We were told that the theme ‘A Night in Tokyo’ was too racial,” USB member Emma Egbalic (9) said. “We don’t want anyone to be offended by anything so administration decided it would be best to change the theme.”

Individual attendees of homecoming have reported not being heavily affected by the change in theme, however, electives participating in preparation for the dance were affected by this.

“I was really prepping for it especially since I’m in dance. We had a whole performance but the new theme was kind of jumped at us,” Maiah Torres (12) said. “We had to figure out a solution for this.”

These conflicts caused difficulties for all because of how it affects the students all throughout campus. With all things combined, the issues caused by the theme will all be resolved by the date of the dance where all students will come together for an exciting night full of fun.

View Story Comments
$250
$500