Categories:

Sea Turtles VS. Dragons: A battle of the mascots

With the initial vote of the senior mascots having faced backlash, the battle between the sea turtles and the dragons experienced a revote. Ultimately, the mascot was revealed to be the senior dragons, but are students happy with this decision?
Terran Chu

A senior tradition for Ayala is that they get to choose the color corresponding animal as their mascot. The Class of 2025 had to choose a green animal, and after an array of animals to choose from, the final two were sea turtles and dragons, but these results led to student’s wondering: Were these the correct choices?

There were mixed reviews about the final two choices, with some saying that the correct answer is obvious, and some noting the fact that the options were polar opposites. 

“[I chose] sea turtles, which I know, I’m in the minority in that. I like the metaphor for the sea turtle, which is peace, wisdom, endurance, patience, strength, and longevity,” Samantha Frausto (12) said. “It still gives off the vibes that we’re the type of threat in games where you don’t see it coming. Plus, senior dragons aren’t really unique and are kinda generic.”

Some votes were lost, and it was a close call on the final vote, which led to a revote being set in. Students’ responses were that some weren’t invested because they asked why pick a mascot for only a year. However, most of the students, including the seniors, were unaware of the revote but supported it; a revote seems necessary if the seniors couldn’t agree.

Prior to the vote happening, the seniors had the chance to leave suggestions for the mascot, with the condition that it had to be in the color green. With that condition being applied, students explain that other colors may feature more unique options, however green still offers varied animal choices.

“I [suggested] senior snakes because I like the metaphor that snakes have. Snakes symbolize renewal, immortality, healing, wisdom, guardianship, and slyness. It feels so cool to have this imagery for our class,” Frausto said.

With the lack of popularity in the existing options, few seniors gave suggestions for mascot options they wish they saw. 

“[I would have suggested] senior crocodiles because we adapted for survival, covid for example, we’re tough and scary, and I feel like it’s a unique choice to choose because not many people would choose them,” Maximus Vargas (12) said.

Others gave suggestions of animals they wish they could have chosen if the color limitation wasn’t put in place.

“I would choose the dragons if we’re going with our class color, but outside of our color, I would choose senior tigers because it sounds good with the rhythm scheme, they follow with the strong power and I just like tigers,” Ariana Guebara (12) said.

The battle between sea turtles vs dragons, the votes were skewed on which one should be the mascot. A revote occurred, and a winner was declared on the Ayala Class of 2025 Instagram account, which was the senior dragons. For the future classes, similar battles will happen, so be wise with your choices. 

View Story Comments