Former Miss Argentina and Miss Puerto Rico get married in secret

Adrielle Dumandan

Former beauty queens Fabiola Valentin and Mariana Varela have announced over social media that they have recently gotten married. The surprising news shocked many, as well as inspired many more.

Ibrahim Saxe, Staff Writer

Fabiola Valentin, the Former Miss Puerto Rico, and Mariana Varela, former Miss Argentina got married in secret. Their marriage was reported to have been in San Juan, Puerto Rico. They announced their marriage through an Instagram post on November 2, 2022 that got over four million views. The newly-weds mentioned that they met back in 2020 at the Miss Grand International Competition in Thailand. They married at the capital courthouse, displaying an act that no more than 8 years ago, they would’ve been jailed for.

Their marriage displays a rising acceptance of love that is not hetero-normative. In large part due to social media and activism, LGBTQ+ acceptance has been on the rise worldwide with many nations in support with new laws. According to Pew Research, LGBTQ+ acceptance has been on the rise or steady in all nations worldwide. This led the former beauty queens to make their over two year long secret relationship become publicly known, and to let the world become aware of their marriage.

“I think that it’s pretty cool that they got married, [but] it’s sad that they had to hide it because marriage is an exciting event that deserves to be celebrated,” Kaya Nuno-Kimura (11) said. “Their love should not have to be hidden.”

The Miss World beauty pageants have had an impact on people worldwide, as they are a symbol of a nation’s identity. Although well known, many were unaware of this marriage, yet still surprised over the sudden announcement.

“I can’t give much of a statement [on the marriage] besides, ‘I think it’s cool,’” Chloe Wang (11) said. “I haven’t looked that much into it. I just know what happened.” 

Other students have been so engulfed in school work to not even notice. “I have no idea who they are,” Brandon Xie (11) said. “I don’t really have an opinion with that [because] whoever they are…best of luck to them.” 

Recently the Miss Universe competition was bought by Anne Jakkaphong Jakrajutatip, a transgender advocate, for twenty million dollars as many see a growth in support for the LGBTQ+ community in media. Latin America in particular has seen a rise in acceptance to the LGBTQ+ community. Cuba recently passed a referendum which has the most progressive family law in the world, enshrined in its constitution according to TeleSur.

Although facing some expected backlash, many online applaud the unexpected couple for their courageous announcement, unafraid to express their love for one another in an ever-changing world slowly coming to terms with accepting people from all walks of life, including those that may not fit traditional societal norms or expectations.