Student News Site of Ruben S. Ayala High School

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

A book guide for the hopeless romantics: A continuation of love’s everlasting journey

David Jung via Canva.com
In the world of romance novels, words hold the ability to whisk readers away, transcending the boundaries of reality and immersing them in a realm where dreams transform into real emotions. “As a reader, I’m drawn to romance novels because they offer an escape into the world of just pure love. There’s something relatable about the themes of love, passion, and relationships that will really reel you in,” said Chloe Dy (9).

Love– arguably the most enigmatic and exhilarating emotion known to mankind. There’s something utterly captivating about the way romance novels can sweep readers off their feet, transporting them to a world where love, passion, and the complexities of the heart reign supreme. Whether you’re new to the genre or a seasoned romance reader, the allure of a good romance story is undeniable.

At the heart of Ayala, where young hearts flutter and new connections form everyday, the world of romance novels can offer an escape, allowing readers to live vicariously through the thrills and dilemmas of love on paper. Here are five handpicked romance novels that not only serve as delightful escapes, but also provide valuable insights into the intricacies of love and relationships.

1) Persuasion – Jane Austen

Persuasion by Jane Austen: 9780307386854 | PenguinRandomHouse.com: Books
Penguin Random House

“You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. I have loved none but you.”

In Persuasion, author Jane Austen delves into the universal themes of love, yearning, survival, regret, and family. This novel is often considered Austen’s most mature work, as evidenced by her subtle irony and melancholic tone. It explores the consequences of lost love, the ache of missed opportunities, and the passage of time. 

The story introduces Anne Elliot, a woman marked by her past decisions, particularly her decision to part ways with her love, Captain Frederick Wentworth. Anne’s life is defined by her solitude, selflessness, and unfulfilled longing to be wanted. When Wentworth re-enters her life, their encounter is fraught with the remnants of their old love, mingled with bitterness and resentment. The novel expertly portrays the painful and complicated dynamics that exist between people, the longing and suffering in the name of love, and the potential for missed connections and lost opportunities.

While hope quietly lingers throughout the pages of Persuasion, it also bears the weight of unspoken agony, highlighting the possibility of longing as a lifelong sentence. Austen’s portrayal of these characters and their emotional complexities is a reminder of the profound consequences of choices and the tragedy of missed connections. 

Austen’s writing is marked by her wit and keen observation of human nature, as seen in her portrayal of characters like the foolish Sir Walter Elliot and the neglected Anne. Persuasion stands out among Austen’s works with its more mature, emotional depth, and a love story that endures separation, making it a captivating read for those who appreciate the complexities of human relationships and the simple yet prolonged melancholy of missed opportunities.

2) After I Do – Taylor Jenkins Reid

After I Do: A Novel: Reid, Taylor Jenkins: 9781476712840: Amazon.com: Books
Washington Square Press

“We are tied to each other. We can hate and love, miss and loathe each other all within the same breath. We can never want to see each other again while never wanting to let go.”

In After I Do, main characters Lauren and Ryan’s marriage has hit a breaking point. Their once-loving relationship has devolved into a state of emotional distance and silent resentment. To find a way back to love, they come up with an unconventional plan: a year apart with no communication. 

Lauren embarks on a journey of self-discovery, shaped by the influence of friends and family, as well as the challenges of living separately from Ryan. As the year unfolds, her ideas about marriage and monogamy are challenged, leading her to question the nature of commitment and love. She grapples with the fundamental questions of what truly matters and what she’s willing to fight for. 

Throughout the story, readers witness the transformation of not only Lauren, but also the complexities of relationships. The narrative moves at a brisk pace, and the characters feel remarkably genuine. Family bonds and life lessons are integral to the story, making it relatable and universally significant. 

Lauren’s character development shines as readers follow her journey from initial honesty to self-awareness. This story challenges conventional notions of marriage and monogamy, offering a fresh and authentic take on love and commitment. 

After I Do is a narrative that presents life’s challenges with authenticity and leaves readers with the uplifting message that despite imperfections, there’s always room for growth and finding the beauty in the journey.

“[After I do] made me think a lot about the power of love. The book really well portrayed the idea that love isn’t just about the honeymoon phase, but also about the strength to overcome challenges and rediscover one another,” said Emma Wang (9).

3) Better Than the Movies – Lynn Painter

Better Than the Movies: 9781534467637: Painter, Lynn: Books - Amazon.com
Simon & Schuster

“Love is patient, love is kind, love means slowly losing your mind.”

In Better than the Movies, readers follow the story of seventeen year old Liz Buxbaum, a perpetual daydreamer and hopeless romantic. Her heart has always belonged to her childhood crush, Michael, who never really noticed her before he moved away. Now that he’s back, Liz is determined to get his attention and maybe even secure him as her prom date. To achieve this, she decides to befriend her next-door neighbor, Wes Bennet, who she’s always seen as an annoying nuisance. 

As Liz and Wes scheme to get Michael’s attention, Liz is surprised to find herself enjoying Wes’s company. The story explores Liz’s journey of self-discovery and growth as she reevaluates her ideas of love and happily ever after. Through her experiences, we witness her transformation from a dreamer chasing an idealized love story to a young woman finding genuine connection and romance in unexpected places. 

Liz’s character arc is a central focus, and while she starts off as a somewhat frustrating character, her growth and development throughout the story make her endearing. Wes, initially seen as a mere annoyance, emerges as a charming and lovable character with whom Liz shares delightful banter. 

The story weaves in Liz’s love for romantic movies, inherited from her late mother, creating a poignant connection to her past. The incorporation of quotes from these films adds a meaningful layer to the narrative, highlighting the role movies play in Liz’s life. 

Overall, Better than the Movies is a heartwarming coming-of-age tale that navigates the complexities of love, friendship, and self-discovery. It challenges the notion of a picture-perfect romance and celebrates the beauty of finding genuine connection in unexpected places. With relatable characters and a touch of nostalgia, Lynn Painter crafts a story that will resonate with readers seeking a genuine and heartfelt portrayal of young love.

“[Romance is] about the small, genuine gestures, the shared laughs, and the comfort of knowing someone truly cares,” said Chloe Dy (9). “Better than the Movies beautifully portrays this, showing that sometimes, reality can surpass even the most scripted love stories. It’s a reminder that love doesn’t have to be perfect to be extraordinary.”

4) Not Here to Be Liked – Michelle Quach

Not Here to Be Liked: 9780063038363: Quach, Michelle: Books - Amazon.com
HarperCollins

“Because feminism, contrary to popular belief, isn’t about hating on guys like me. It’s all about all of us working toward equality, together.”

Not Here to Be Liked by Michelle Quach follows the journey of Eliza Quan, a Chinese-Vietnamese-American teenager. Eliza, along with her best friend Winona, staunchly rejects conforming to the male gaze in favor of their feminist beliefs. When Eliza’s manifesto denouncing sexism in a school election accidentally goes public, it sparks a feminist movement. This brings Serena into their lives, who challenges their assumptions and undergoes her own growth in feminist ideals through conversations with Eliza. 

As the story unfolds, Eliza’s character development takes center stage. Battling bullying, sexism, and misogyny, she becomes a more empathetic and understanding person. The unexpected romance between Eliza and her academic rival, Len DiMartile, adds a layer of complexity. Their journey from adversaries to partners is marked by vulnerability and heartfelt moments. 

The novel also explores the importance of family and cultural heritage, particularly within Eliza’s Chinese-Vietnamese background and Len’s half-Japanese heritage. Themes of war, immigration, and the struggles of previous generations are interwoven into the narrative. 

Throughout, Not Here to Be Liked addresses timely issues such as feminism, performative activism, and internalized biases. The characters are multi-dimensional, flawed, and relatable, and their interactions form the core of the story. Michelle Quach’s debut work is a poignant exploration of self-discovery, friendship, and the complexities of feminism in a patriarchal society.

5) All About Love: New Visions – Bell Hooks

All About Love: New Visions: 9780060959470: bell hooks: Books - Amazon.com
HarperCollins

“To love well is the task in all meaningful relationships, not just romantic bonds.”

All About Love: New Visions challenges conventional notions of love and offers a transformative perspective on this complex emotion. In her thought-provoking work, Hooks argues that love should be viewed as a verb, urging readers to redefine the understanding of it and recognize its potential as a proactive force capable of healing emotional wounds and bridging societal divides. 

Throughout the book’s eleven concise chapters, Hooks explores how early childhood experiences shape concepts of love and how these ideals often fail in both personal and professional relationships. She emphasizes the importance of self-love without narcissism and its potential to bring compassion and peace to our lives. Furthermore, Hooks highlights the role of love in resolving conflicts between individuals, communities, and societies, challenging the prevailing notion that romantic love is the most significant form of love. 

The book delves into various critical topics, including the media’s portrayal of unhealthy relationships, how capitalism and patriarchy affect love dynamics, and the undervaluation of friendships due to the emphasis on romance. It offers a path toward more loving relationships with oneself and others, fostering a more loving society. 

All About Love is a compelling and challenging read that interrogates normalized systems of love, offering a more radical perspective that encourages readers to reevaluate their understanding of love, its transformative potential, and its role in our lives and society. This book has the power to change how we think about love, culture, and our relationships with one another.

No matter which of these books you choose to read, you’re sure to find a heartwarming and compelling romance to enjoy. So, whether you’re in the mood for a contemporary love story, a classic novel, or an exploration of love’s deeper dimensions, grab one of these novels, and get ready to embark on a romantic journey that will warm your heart. Happy reading!