Science Olympiad team gears up for regional championships

Lia Dimapasok
With their week-long series of tests coming to an end, Science Olympiad members collaborate fervently to practice and refine their skills for one final test.

Last Friday, February 16, the Science Olympiad team held a meeting in Mrs. Lisa Garcia’s classroom. The gathering marked the denouement of a week-long series of tests as part of an invitational event hosted by the University of Southern California (USC), with Ayala hosting a satellite version on campus.

“Last week’s meeting was more of an invitational to help students understand the types of questions they’ll face and refine their study strategies,” said AP Chemistry teacher Mrs. Lisa Garcia. “We weren’t focused solely on placing but on fine-tuning our approach.”

During the meeting, team members engaged in 28 different types of tests, aiming to outperform their peers from other schools. These tests, ranging from geological mapping to engineering challenges like the scrambler, required intensive preparation and teamwork.

Team members reflected on the challenges faced in preparation.

“My wildcard event was doing a study event about geological mapping, which is something I have absolutely no clue on,” Science Olympiad member Charlene Cheng (11) said. “So in order to overcome this challenge, I basically studied a lot of knowledge on rocks and tectonic plates and whatnot.”

For the preparation process, team members emphasized the significance of thorough study sessions and utilizing resources such as online wikis to understand test formats and concepts. 

“In preparation for these tests, it’s mostly just a lot of studying,” said Caden Hong (11). “We mostly look at what other teams do, but the [Science Olympiad] ‘Wiki’ is also a good guide. Our goal is to always just be as prepared as possible.”

This year holds particular importance for the Ayala Science Olympiad team, as they return to competition after a hiatus last year. With two teams slated to compete in the upcoming regional championships on March 16, the team is eager to showcase their skills and vie for top honors.

As the regional championships draw near, the team acknowledges the challenges of coordinating study sessions and pooling resources effectively. However, their dedication and determination are unwavering as they continue to work on their strategies for success.

With the regional championships on the horizon, the Science Olympiad team is primed and ready to demonstrate their scientific wit and competitive spirit on the regional stage. Good luck to our Science Olympiad team!

View Comments (1)
$0
$500