Amnesty Club facilitates youth activism

Hannah Luu

Amnesty Club’s mission is to raise awareness about human rights issues and global affairs. They do this by fundraising and organizing events to get young people more involved with the cause.

Kaitlyn Luu, Staff Writer

Aiming to make a positive impact on the world, Amnesty Club is a brand new club on campus that advocates for human rights issues. They hope to shed light on social injustices not only in America, but in other countries as well. Promoting youth activism within the community is one way they try to get more people involved, and they do this by taking to social media and using it as a platform to inform people about these issues.

Even just a decade ago, people could not fathom the extent to which digital devices could impact how we go about our day to day lives. Technology has made societies more connected than ever with the Internet at our disposal and the commodity of cellphones. In the digital age, as social media has become more ubiquitous, it is more apparent than ever that young people want their voices to be heard to stand up for the causes they care about.

“Gen Z is known for their advocacy and their activism more so because of social media and being able to be informed and have intellectual, critical conversations about how to do things,” said Ms. Tse, the advisor for Amnesty Club.

Kate Lin, the president of Amnesty Club, has a passion for helping others and talking to others about the things that matter to her. Lin started this club because she didn’t see any other club on campus that fulfilled her desire to make global affairs and human rights violations known to more people. Her main goal for Amnesty Club is to be as active as possible and try to get more young people involved with the cause.

“Amnesty Club is all about spreading awareness around campus and being able to talk about these issues that are often stigmatized by other people,” said Lin. “We really try to do events and we want to do charities and fundraisers to help different causes that we’re passionate about.”

If you are looking for an outlet to speak up about things that warrant more exposure, Amnesty Club provides just that. With an objective to make the world a better place for everybody, club members get to connect with like-minded people in a welcoming, supportive atmosphere.

“In this club, I want the environment to be really friendly, respectful, but also kind of playful, and develop a relationship between all the members and the officers and have a really strong connection,” said Lin.