A failed Sadie Hawkins: Ayala wants nothing to do with school spirit

Even+after+numerous+attempts+to+promote+Sadie+Hawkins%2C+ticket+sales+were+too+low+to+continue+the+fun-filled+festivity.+

@ayalabulldogtimes

Even after numerous attempts to promote Sadie Hawkin’s, ticket sales were too low to continue the fun-filled festivity.

Olivia Mendoza

After an attempt to spice up the winter months, the United Student Body (USB) announced that the Bulldogs would be having a Sadie Hawkins Dance earlier this month. But even with their numerous attempts to promote the carnival-themed dance, the low number of ticket purchases led to the cancellation of the event. 

On Wednesday, January 25th, USB Speaker of the House, Zachary Chang, made the announcement over the intercom that this special event would no longer be taking place on February 3rd. With the sale of approximately only 40 tickets by Tuesday night, the cost to showcase the carnival would exceed the overall profit made. 

The word quickly spread around school that in order to keep the event in discussion, USB would have to have sold nearly 200 tickets. Students also learned that the money profited from the carnival would be used to aid the celebration of the Class of 2023 seniors at graduation.  

“Giving the students an ultimatum saying they had to buy tickets within one day or it would be canceled was illogical,” senior Rory Webber said. “I knew plenty of people who were planning on buying a ticket but either forgot to or were unable to in time.” 

The short timeline that was given to students to purchase the tickets was another complaint that was expressed school-wide. The first announcement of the event was shared with the student body one week earlier, but the $40 price tag kept a lot of Bulldogs from making the final decision to attend the carnival. The continual changes from a winter carnival to a Sadie’s dance made it difficult for students to decide whether or not they could see themselves attending. 

An anonymous USB student shared that when students learned that there wouldn’t be any actual rides at the carnival, many of them were also put off by the idea completely. 

“I think everybody was just over it,” the student said. 

This failed attempt to increase the school spirit on campus only further proves the disconnect that many students feel on a daily basis. While many upperclassmen have seen higher levels of spirit at other schools in Southern California, it is quite noticeable that Ayala falls greatly behind. 

“It’s really the administration at the school,” senior Gigi Gonzales said.  “[Students and USB] have the right ideas, but they just don’t get approved.” 

Thus far, students have left a great legacy for the school in terms of both academics and athletics but it seems as though the faculty at Ayala slips in between the cracks when it comes to rewarding their students with activities that are fun and engaging. 

Many hope that before the academic year comes to a close there could be some compromise in terms of the perfect balance between teenage fun and school appropriate activities. 

“Since the seniors had to get the behavior contracts signed, I would say trust us until you don’t,” senior Daniel Duenas said. 

As for USB, the class is looking forward to stepping up the spirit and engagement to the next level as the spring rally is just around the corner.