Club Spotlight: Forensic Science Club

A crime scene was staged in the back staircase of the science building for students to solve. This is one of the many activities that students who participate in this club will be doing.  
Aniya Grant

Forensic Science Club is a brand new club that was added this year to the various list of other clubs offered at Ayala. Forensic Science is the area of study that regards investigating and examining evidence at crime sciences. As a first-year club, forensic science has plenty to offer. They aspire to spread awareness about this career field because it is reported that by the year 2030, forensic science related careers will experience a massive increase. With this knowledge, this club aims to encourage and influence students to learn more about forensic science through their club. 

“I think the idea of the club is to give people an opportunity to learn about the class but also give students an opportunity to expose themselves to the field, because it is a very televised and popular thing in our culture,” Mr. Robert Ly said, the Forensic Science Club advisor and Forensic Science teacher.

The Forensic Science Club will host meetings during lunch every 2nd and 4th Monday of the month. These meetings will be hosted in Mr. Ly’s classroom (S106), which is located in the lower level of the science building, facing the stadium. At these meetings, students will explore what forensic science is about through working together to solve cases, watching crime videos, and much more. On occasion, the club will have guest speakers who have relations to the forensic science field. These speakers often consist of college students who have taken the class either in either college or high school. These speakers will provide professional as well as personal experiences about this course. 

In addition to the club, the forensic science class is a new course offered at Ayala. This is the first year students have an opportunity to see what forensic science may have to offer. Unfortunately, this course is only offered to juniors and seniors. In the meantime, underclassmen who have an interest in forensic science can join the Forensic Science Club which is available to all grades. This gives all students an opportunity to explore this field.

“It’s mainly for juniors and seniors. Unless sophomores, I don’t know if they would have time in their schedule, but I wouldn’t mind having a motivated sophomore in there who’s also taking chemistry or physics at the same time,” Mr. Ly said. 

For some students, this new club has extended their already present love of forensic science. Through this club, they hope to learn more about the topic that they already know and love. Even though they already have explored and discovered plenty about this field, they still believe that this club will benefit them. 

“I mean, I already love science a lot, and I want to do something in science one day, but I think it will influence me to be more sciency,” said Penny Scudder (10).

This newly founded club is run by a six person board starting with their president Rebekah Xia (11). The full board consists of President Xia, Vice President Candy Tong (11), Secretary Kaitlin Trinh (11), UCC Representative Zoya Hsien (11), Treasurer Terran Chu (11), and Social Media Chair Angela Gao (11).

Through this club, Xia and her fellow board members hope to encourage and spread awareness about this up and coming career. They aspire to gain the attention of students who may have an interest in forensics as well as those who may not, but are open to exploring it. No matter what your opinion or status is on forensic science, they open this club to everyone. 

“I just wanted to be able to have other people know about this career field because in the future it will be really popular and a lot of jobs will need this type of career especially since we’re lacking in this position of forensics,” Xia  said.