AVID field trip to Cal State Fullerton fuels the importance of college touring

Mr. Sameer Bhatt
The AVID class recently visited Cal State Fullerton as part of the college tours offered in the class. Students were able to get insight on the overall college experience as well as what they should be looking for when researching. “It is important to start early in the college process as college is a part of a majority’s future,” Austin Elder (11) said. “Best to be able to ponder on colleges over a couple of years [rather] than just the few months in senior year.”

On Tuesday, October 17, the Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) class took a field trip to California State University, Fullerton (CSUF) to tour the college campus and start early in the college research process. Because the college application process can appear daunting from an outsider’s perspective, the field trip gave students the opportunity to ask questions and become more informed about their choices for college.

AVID is a class offered to help students be organized with their schoolwork while also acting as a way to be proactive about grades. Through college essay practicing, note taking, and organization, this course allows students who want to go to college to start early in the college application process.

“I originally took AVID to help with my overall understanding about college and the process of applying,” Hannah Tavis (11) said. “Since I’m also the oldest sibling in my family, I thought it would be helpful because I don’t have an older sibling to guide me.”

On the field trip, students were able to tour the campus as they explored options for possible colleges to apply to. The tour guide, who happened to be an Ayala alumni, went over traditions specific to CSUF, the process in choosing a major for a specific degree, and the housing situations for college students. Students asked questions while also getting a feel for the overall college experience as they were given free-time to roam around the campus.

“The obvious reason why [having free-time] is my favorite part is because you can basically do whatever you want and experience college life whilst hanging out with friends,” Austin Elder (11) said. “It is one thing to know facts about college and another thing to actually experience it and get a feel for what the college life would be like.”

With the Class of 2025 juniors preparing to think about possible majors and schools they might want to pursue, the field trip to CSUF reaffirmed many AVID students’s decisions while offering them new perspectives. 

“I learned how common it is for students to change their majors in college,” Tavis said. “Not being 100% sure of the pathway you want to take is completely normal, which makes making a total decision by the end of senior year less stressful.”

With there being a wide variety of options, these AVID field trips emphasize touring different campuses to fully get a feel for the college experience while remaining open to the possibilities.

“I think what I enjoy the most [from these field trips] is just kids realizing the options that they have, and also correcting misconceptions that they have,” AVID 11 and 12 teacher Ms. Christy Koenig said. “Sometimes they think about Cal State Fullerton and they’re like, ‘Oh, it’s so close to home. Everybody goes there.’ But then when they go visit the campus, they’re like, ‘Oh my gosh, it’s so huge. I really like it.’” 

As college is typically on the minds of most high school students, it is never too early to get ahead in the research process. Be proactive in maximizing time before senior year and go to in-person college tours to explore what each college has to offer. 

“Being able to go on these visits physically, seeing the campus, interacting with people on the campus, seeing the different opportunities that they would have as students there, and kind of seeing the student body life, I think it’s a great experience,” AVID 10 teacher Mr. Sameer Bhatt said.