Club de Mariachi: the enduring tradition of iconic musical harmony

El Club de Mariachi fosters appreciation of Latin music

Sandra Alves, Spanish teacher

Club leader Martin Lizardi (10) leads members of the Club de Mariachi in a performance of Las Posadas, a religiously significant celebration of the journey of Mary and Joseph to find a place to give birth to their son Jesus.

Avery Rosas

Club de Mariachi, or simply put, Mariachi Club, is a newer group which informally aims to improve the musical ability of its members. Along with their inclusion of lessons about the tradition’s history, the club is a cultural spotlight for the prominent Latin-American presence in our school and in Southern California. 

Club presidents Martin (10) and Miguel Lizardi (9) lead their group and have created an environment where students feel comfortable to learn and practice their musical strengths, similar to their goals for the Spanish Club that they also lead. 

“Everyone is helpful with more than just the club. Everyone is caring, and it’s just a great club in general,” said sophomore Lilian Blask. 

The Lizardi brothers come highly regarded in terms of their knowledge, their amiability, and their encouraging personalities, resulting in the unique leadership qualities they have developed and displayed for every meeting, event, and general interaction. 

Both Miguel and Martin Lizardi taught me how to play the guitar and boosted my confidence to sing in front of other people,” said freshman Bella Belloso, “They’re both amazing and incredibly welcoming to everybody interested in joining.” 

With a good leading pair to guide them, Mariachi Club’s informal yet inviting structure allows for students to feel free to learn and grow without embarrassment or exclusion. 

It’s not very strict or anything,” said sophomore Luis Ramirez-Lucero. “It’s really a place in which we jam out and try to practice and learn about mariachi music or Latin music in general.”

A continuation of Latino culture is something that has made its decline as newer generations become negligent of their heritage, making the group an important preservation of a deserving art and practice. 

Although it is, as mentioned, a more casual setting, students are learning about the instruments and techniques that made the music of old Latino greats such as singer Pedro Infante, singer and composer Jose Alfredez Mejía, and the powerful harmonies of groups like Trio Los Panchos and Los Tres Diamantes. 

The club’s most recent performance had an intimate setting and was performed in Sra. Harmon’s room B139 before winter break. They performed a traditional back-and-forth song, “Las Posadas,” a religiously significant celebration of the journey of Mary and Joseph to find a place to give birth to their son Jesus. 

Future events are uncertain but the performance of “Las Posadas” was a stepping stone for the group as they all try to improve their public performing abilities.

Continual meetings in Sra. Harmon’s room on Fridays during lunch will hopefully soon develop their skills.

Above all, Mariachi Club has successfully created a welcoming climate for its members along with any new students who would be interested in joining. “The group has felt very open and welcoming! Miguel and Martin make everything as equal as possible,” said Belloso. “They are fair and encourage singing, events, instruments, and coming to every meeting.”