Student News Site of Ruben S. Ayala High School

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Bulldogs of Ayala: Khalea Turingan

Khalea Turingan (12) kick starts her future as she approaches the next chapter of her life
Samantha Hill
Khalea Turningan has recently signed with the University of La Verne, to continue playing soccer after she graduates from Ayala. “I’ve enjoyed [soccer] so much that I committed,” Turnigan said.

On and off the field, Khalea Turingan (12) is someone who many people look up to; she is a talented soccer player, yet humble in her ways. After playing soccer for the majority of her life, Turingan has committed her future in college to playing the sport that she loves. As she enters a new chapter in her life, she is excited to continue her passion while also building new experiences at the University of La Verne, where she has already committed.

When Turingan was seven years old, she was inspired to try soccer for herself after watching her older sisters play. Since then, she has played on multiple soccer teams and plans on continuing playing throughout college. Beyond the sport itself, soccer has taught her many valuable lessons.

“I went straight to club soccer right after [my sisters inspired me to play] and I’ve just been playing it ever since,” Turingan said.

While she enjoys playing on the field as a player, off the field is where she shines as a friend. Her teammates look up to Turingan as a role model, as she is an excellent player who pushes others to be their best. 

“Last year she won MVP defender of the year and she is a great player. She’s smart with the ball movement and she’s fast,” her teammate Linda Prudencio-Mata (11) said. 

Others have also commented on her kind personality, always being able to be there when her friends need her most.

“She is a very caring and welcoming person. She is someone I can go to for advice in school, life or in soccer. She is kind and will be there for you whenever you are having a bad day,” her teammate Bella Contreras (12) added.

Top row (from left) Ava Uresti, Laurie Park, Alyssa Lee, Viviana Naranjo, Kylie Wilbanks, Grey Barrozo, Greta Genie, Sabrina Abu Wishah, Abigayle Grace
Bottom row (from left) Abigail Foster, Sofia Torres, Drew Harries, Sienna Hopple, Bella Contreras, Abby Basset, Preslee Malavenda, Khalea Turingan, Roseanna Ashak, Kaylee Bergeron
Khalea Turingan and her teammates are featured during their 2024 senior night. “Kahlea is a big contributor to our team because she is very good on the ball technically and tactically. I love hanging with her on the field and at school,” her teammate and friend, Bella Contreras (12) said.

When Turingan was new to the Ayala soccer team, she had an injury that prohibited her ability to play temporarily. Though this time was a challenge, Turnigan managed to get back on the field and continue to be a valuable player after she recovered.

“During my sophomore year of high school, I was injured and I was out the whole season. I had to do physical therapy,” Turnigan said. “It was just very hard because I wanted to be on the field, but I had to be on the sidelines just watching my teammates play.”

Now, her heart is in the game more than ever. Khalea Turnigan has recently signed with La Verne and has committed to playing her sport in college with them.

“I wanted to stay close to home and I just love how small the campus is. I’m looking forward to continuing playing the sport that I love and having fun meeting new people,” Turnigan said. 

As Turnigan enters a new chapter of her life, she is excited to see what the future holds for her. While pursuing soccer, she is looking forward to building new experiences at her new college. Staying near her home will give her the opportunity to spend time with her family and prioritize her hobbies like hiking and traveling. After she overcame her injury, she has been back on the field, playing harder than ever.

“My favorite thing about Khalea is that she is just a wonderful person to be around. I love hanging with her on the field and at school,” Contreras concluded. “I know she will accomplish great things at La Verne and I can’t wait to see her play at the next level in college.”