Boys basketball ends their season with a phenomenal record

Senior+%28from+left%29+Patrick+Ladrido%2C+Johnathan+Lozano%2C+Jaydin+Maddox%2C+and+Christian+Martinez+stand+together+for+one+last+home+game+picture+before+playing+Alta+Loma+in+their+senior+night.+
Avery Rosas
Senior (from left) Patrick Ladrido, Johnathan Lozano, Jaydin Maddox, and Christian Martinez stand together for one last home game picture before playing Alta Loma in their senior night.

Boys Varsity Basketball ends their Palamora League Season with a record of 7-3 and an overall record of 18-11. The team moved up to CIF playoffs but unfortunately was eliminated in the first round. Soon-to-graduate seniors and varsity players include Jaydin Maddox, Christian Martinez, Patrick Ladrido, and Johnathan Lozano, who share their thoughts about the season’s ending, and their accomplishments of the season. 

“I think our greatest team accomplishment this year was learning how to play together,” senior and team captain Christian Martinez shares. “a lot of people came and left during the summer, but we ended up learning how to play together as a team.”

Sophomore and starting varsity player, Joshua Townsell, also shares his insight on their team accomplishments from the 2023-2024 season. 

“This season, I think we wanted to accomplish more,” Townsell states. “But I think we did a good job with the schedule we had and we just need to improve next year. This year we had a good win in Glendora but we just need to improve on getting some more wins for next season.”

All teams can improve their abilities to become better together, and work harder as a team for future seasons. Head coach Sameer Bhatt and Townsell, also share their thoughts on what the team improved on from last season to this season, and what some long term goals are for boys varsity basketball. 

“I think I can see that everyone puts more care into us this year,” Townsell said. “Last year we were still a team, but I think this year proved us much closer, and we are more locked into what we want to achieve this year.”

Head coach Sameer Bhatt pitches in to add in how the overall traits and values of the team has transformed within a couple of seasons. 

“I think the culture of the program has changed significantly,” Bhatt said. “This year’s team is a lot closer and tight-knitted together, and that’s something we want to carry on going into future seasons.”

Coach Bhatt continues to say how they hope to remain competitive and make CIF playoffs as they have for the last four years in a row. The team dynamics have seemed to change dramatically as the team feels they are able to gel well together than they did last season. 

The coaching staff shared how the average GPA for the team this season was a 3.0, and Coach Bhatt explains how they are hoping to improve their academic performance from a 3.0 into a 3.2 for next season, so they are equally as competitive on the court as they are off the court.

The achievements of our Bulldog’s varsity boys basketball team includes two wins against the Colony Titans, two wins against the Claremont Wolfpack, one win against the Glendora Tartans, and two wins against the Alta Loma Braves. They won numerous other games against non-league teams including Don Lugo High School, Marquez High School, Del Norte High School, Ontario Christian High School, and many more. However, they unfortunately ended their season run in the first round of CIF Division 2A Southern Section Boys’ Basketball Championships against Palm Springs High School. 

This season’s team dynamics and accomplishments throughout tournaments, league games, and all losses and wins are ones that all varsity freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and graduating seniors will remember. They continue to train and work for the upcoming 2024-2025 season starting in December for a new team with new goals in mind.