Bulldogs dominate against Bearcats during Swim Senior Night

Kaylani Hsu
(From left to right) Seniors Victoria Rivas, Sydney Rich, Julian Juarez, Tyler Johnson, Ben Trull, Angelina Hernandez, Donovan Thomas, Alexander Florentinus, Nathan Cheng, Ryan Chen, Joshua Chan, and Roseanna Ashak line up in front of the pool as the friends, parents, teammates, and coaches commemorate the Bulldogs.

On April 10, Ayala’s swim teams celebrated the class of ‘24 seniors during their last home game. In addition to dedicating the meet as “Senior Night,” both girls and boys Junior Varsity (JV) and Varsity teams completely swept their opponent, the Bonita Bearcats.

During the meet, the JV girls led by an outstanding 109-44 out of the 153 total points against Bonita High School. Meanwhile, the boys’ JV team also swept the Bearcats 113-57.

The Varsity girls triumphed 113 points to Bonita’s 57. These Bulldogs won in multiple categories including the girls 200 Free Varsity race where Riley Ogilvie (11) placed first with 2:03.52 and Selena Villafuerte (11) placing right behind with 2:09.51. They also dominated in the girls 200 Medley Relay Race with a time of 1:59.4, the line up consisting of Daniella Stabio (10), Nicole Cheng (9), Coco Hong (9), and Riley Ogilvie (11).

For the Varsity boys, they finished with a tighter score of 95.5-70.5. During the impressive boys 500 free varsity, junior Arthur Lin shocked the audience and coaches by winning first with an amazing time of 4:49.85. But the surprise did not stop there as senior Ben Trull was beaten by first place Alek De La Cruz (10) in the boys 100 Breast Varsity by merely 0.14 seconds.

Halfway into the meet, 12 of our Senior Bulldogs were spotlighted and celebrated by the team, staff, and audience: Roseanna Ashak, Joshua Chan, Ryan Chen, Nathan Cheng, Alexander Florentinus, Angelina Hernandez, Tyler Johnson, Julian Juarez, Sydnee Rich, Victoria Rivas, Donovan Thomas, and Ben Trull. Each athlete’s name was announced as they walked across the deck to be congratulated by the Head Swim Coach, Paul Marceau, and received laurels hand-crafted by the team parents.

The swim team will be at Claremont on April 17 for a League game before their League Prelims on the 23 and 25.