Ayala’s golf team hosts their fifth annual golf classic

Kailyn Dang
The 5th Annual Ayala Golf Classic on January 15 is the biggest fundraising event that the Ayala Golf teams host each year.

On Monday, January 15, the Ayala Boys and Girls Golf Teams hosted their fifth annual Ayala Golf Classic at Western Hills Country Club. The fundraiser is one of the most important events for the golf team as most of the proceeds go toward funding future tournaments, the team itself, and their practices. It was in a scramble format, with dozens of groups of four playing to win free entry into the next year’s tournament.

Not only is the tournament important for fundraising, but it leads to both the students and participants learning important lessons when it comes to the game of golf.

“Golf is an individual sport. Players usually play for themselves. Playing in these tournaments is crucial as it provides valuable competitive experience, helps players refine their skills, and allows for competitive experience,” treasurer of the booster program, Teresa Yao said. 

Students and booster members arrived early in the morning at 8 a.m. to begin preparing. Booths with raffle items, a table of food and drinks, and a putting game were set up. Students decorated golf carts, learned how to greet and assist fast arriving players, and contributed to further preparation for the tournament.

Kailyn Dang (11) and Hannah Reyes (11), student golfers from the Ayala Girls Golf team, pose in the decorated “Shots and Drinks” cart. (Cassie Du)

Check-in for the players began at 9 a.m. Students refilled golf balls, took their bags to the designated golf carts, and advertised the plethora of raffle prizes and games. The golfers practiced at hitting bays, enjoyed drinks with one another, and participated in a putting competition. 11 a.m. marked the shotgun start when the players each started on a different hole and began the scramble. The rules of the game are simple: each player hits their ball and the team hits from the spot where the best struck ball landed. With this format, the winning team was expected to shoot under par. 

While the golfers were playing, booster members drove around in hand-decorated “Drinks and Shots” carts where alcohol was sold. Drinks were donated from Chino Hills Brewing Company, one of the many sponsors supporting the Classic. Other sponsors included Motive Energy, BLDG Realty, MKH Inspection and Testing, Smash Factor, Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers, Cerritos Oral Surgery, Cafe 86, Riverside Grill, Allure Dental, and Automatic King’s Transmission Parts.

The boys and girls golf teams worked hard to gain sponsors by soliciting during their own time, and are thankful for their support towards funding the tournament. 

“I just wanted to give a quick shout out and a big thanks for backing our golf team’s tournament! Your support helped us make this tournament amazing and spread the love for golf in our community,” Madison Soong (10), a member of the girls golf team said.

The game continued and at 2 p.m. the helicopter ball drop began. Ayala golf students worked hard to sell as many raffle tickets as possible for this event. Golf balls, each with a different number, were dropped from the sky onto a designated putting green. Whichever balls landed in the hole or closest to the red pin would split the $1000 money prize. In the end, there were nine total winners. Each person won about $111. 

The scramble ended around 3 p.m.. Players gathered in the banquet hall to enjoy dinner together. Coach Capps, the head coach of the boys and girls golf teams, gave a speech, thanking everyone for participating, showing further gratitude towards the sponsors, and making additional announcements. The raffle and silent auction winners were called as people accepted their new television screens, jerseys, appliances, and gift baskets. The nine ball drop winners were announced, and finally, the scramble winners were congratulated.

(From Left) Coach Ron Capps congratulates tournament winners Kevin Yarng, Eric Ang, Anthony Wang, and Albert Li as they hold their trophies. (Kailyn Dang)

“I was excited to see the turnout and success of the tournament because of the amount of effort everyone put into it. It was very exciting seeing how everyone took part and worked together to bring the tournament to life,” Cassie Du (10), member of the golf team, said.

The winning foursome included Kevin Yarng, Anthony Wang, Eric Ang, and Albert Li, who won with a score of 15-under. Free entry into the next year’s tournament and individual trophies were awarded to the golfers.

Ayala Girls and Boys Golf would like to thank the sponsors, volunteers, booster program and players for their support towards the tournament and the golf team as a whole. We look forward to what’s to come next year and are excited for future advancements in the program that will only be possible through your support.