Academic scholar and friend Emily Diep: Balancing the work

Emily Diep

“Ever since junior high, I was always involved in many extracurricular activities, so it felt wrong to not be involved in anything. All the extracurriculars I have participated in greatly interested me and allowed me to gain experiences and knowledge I might not have gained from school alone,” Emily Diep (12) said.

Emily Gutierrez

Every high school student has a vastly different schedule and workload to deal with. Some people just take the basic classes needed to graduate and don’t take part in any activities, but others go above and beyond and participate in extracurricular activities, like senior Emily Diep.

She is very involved with the school by being a class officer, the Co-President of ANEA, a club that teaches English to people from Taiwan, the president of  UNICEF, vice president of National Honor Society, and has been on the girls’ varsity basketball team since Freshman year. She also has over 100 hours of service being in both the Leo Club and Key Club.

“Ever since junior high, I was always involved in many extracurricular activities, so it felt wrong to not be involved in anything,” Diep said. “All the extracurriculars I have participated in greatly interested me and allowed me to gain experiences and knowledge I might not have gained from school alone.”

People that have been a part of Emily’s life at any part of her life, collectively share the same thought. That thought is that she is both witty and funny.

“She’s really really smart, and she’s so fun to talk to. You can literally talk to her about anything, and she’ll always have something to say back.” Sophomore Daniel Choi said.

Diep is incredibly diligent with a weighted GPA of 4.41 and unweighted GPA of 3.98. 

Throughout the years, she has made many friends and made many memories along the way. One memory that was shared by Larissa Goshi, one of her friends and fellow basketball player.

“I’ve known her since 7th grade,” Goshi said. “One time at practice, we were doing a practice competition that incorporated backpedaling and she wanted to win, but she slipped and landed on her butt. I knew she wasn’t hurt because she was laughing with everyone.”

Managing both school, extracurricular activities, and personal life is quite difficult, especially when you are in your final year of high school, but for her it is one of her biggest accomplishments.

“In retrospect, I think my biggest accomplishment has been balancing my education, my extracurriculars, and my sport,” Diep said.