Hype on the Homecoming Floors

Ayala attendees discuss this year’s homecoming notch-up

Ayala+attendees+party+in+the+MPR+

Adrielle Dumandan

Ayala attendees party in the MPR

Adrielle Dumandan, Staff Writer

Every fall, Ruben S. Ayala High School holds its annual homecoming dance, and this school year, United Student Body took it up a notch. While previous years involved the typical music and light snacks for grabs scenario, the 2022 “Ayala in Wonderland” Homecoming Dance had delights from cotton candy, popcorn, and funnel cakes to recreational activities such as air hockey, photo booths, and as expected, a DJ for the night. 

Two weeks prior to the dance, students were given the opportunity to win free tickets through votes in a “Best Homecoming Proposal” category, and were also able to vote for worthy homecoming kings and queens! Using favorite flowers, clever posters, and preferred candies and food, students created a stir of excitement with one another before homecoming even arrived, especially when choosing suits and dresses beforehand. 

“Just hanging out with my closest friends and choosing each others’ dresses and everything was incredibly fun, and I’m glad I get the chance to see ‘post- COVID’ events,” Ariana Morales (11) said.

While Ayala slowly transitions out of COVID mandates and concerns, many students from every grade paid $70 tickets to attend the redemption of normalcy and were not disappointed. Granted the option to invite guests, opening indoor spots, and calling trucks for delicious desserts, it was as if everything was back to normal. 

Sirena Alvarado (11), described this experience as, “a huge step up from last year’s dance” and “a very memorable time to share with friends, especially considering the fact we could bring outside guests.”

“I’m beyond glad I chose to attend! Also, USB did a good job at arranging an unforgettable experience for the school. I definitely think it was a great idea to call over some funnel cakes and cotton candy. So fun,” Alvarado added. 

I’m beyond glad I chose to attend! Also, USB did a good job at arranging an unforgettable experience for the school. I definitely think it was a great idea to call over some funnel cakes and cotton candy. So fun

— Sirena Alvarado

The Alice in Wonderland themed dance had students dancing, laughing, cheering, and enjoying one another’s company from the moment it began. This year, homecoming was held indoors and outdoors, considerably called a “hybrid” of previous homecoming school dances. Similar to last year, Ayala in Wonderland returned with the popular karaoke station.

“Honestly, singing with my friend was so funny, even though it was a little embarrassing, that pretty much made it special,” said Mishael Ong (11), a guest at Ayala in Wonderland.

Despite overwhelming, hour-long, and chaotic lines, everyone seemed to have an enjoyable evening. As the night slowly died down, students went home, and cleanup began, Bulldogs were already looking forward to the Ayala 2023-2024 school year’s next homecoming dance, and the new fun it has to offer.