Controversy sparks concerning feminism in upcoming Snow White movie

The+upcoming+Snow+White+live+action+movie+starring+Gal+Gadot+and+Rachel+Zegler+is+a+topic+of+controversy+concerning+feminism.+%E2%80%9C%5BSnow+White%5D+is+not+going+to+be+saved+by+the+prince%E2%80%A6she%E2%80%99s+the+proactive+one+and+she%E2%80%99s+the+one+who+set+the+terms%2C+said+Gal+Gadot+in+Entertainment+Weekly.+
Madison O’Neill via Canva
The upcoming “Snow White” live action movie starring Gal Gadot and Rachel Zegler is a topic of controversy concerning feminism. “[Snow White] is not going to be saved by the prince…she’s the proactive one and she’s the one who set the terms, said Gal Gadot in Entertainment Weekly.

News of the upcoming live-action Snow White movie, set to release in 2024, is brewing excitement in newer and older generations alike. However, this anticipation doesn’t come without its controversy. Many fans are afraid that the feminist ideals of the new movie will make it vastly different from the original while others think that the feminist views may be lacking.

As the world continues to modernize, many movies are starting to favor more feminist ideals than in the 1930s when the original Snow White movie came out. Societal norms concerning women from the 1930s were included in the original movie including when Snow White cleaned the cottage for the dwarfs like the women who would stay home to clean for their family. The producers of the live-action did not want to display this.

Many people believe that representing feminist ideals is important. However, they also think that the remake may be straying too far away from the original.

“I think feminism is good. It’s just when it changes the whole plot of the original movie, that’s when it’s too much,” Mia Campos (9) said.

The theme of love is present in every Disney princess movie, and Snow White is no different. Yet, the producers have considered leaving out the elements of love altogether. Parents are unsure about the producers’ ideas to leave this aspect out considering that it plays a significant role in the original movie. 

I don’t…want to see her love story omitted entirely, I just want to see it unfold in a way that feels more authentic,” Parents.com revealed.

Many fans are concerned about some of the comments that were made by the cast members which may be seen as anti-feminist.  Rachel Zegler, the actress playing Snow White has made various remarks about the movie in recent interviews.

In Entertainment Weekly, Zegler revealed, “[I] was scared of the original cartoon…[I] watched it once and never picked it up again.”

Some critics are excited about the feminist angle of the remake, while others do not agree with the new perspective. The degree of feminism is one of the main sources of controversy, mostly stemming from fans of the original movie or people with different mindsets concerning feminism.

“Some think that it takes a more feminist standpoint, and [there are] those who might not agree with those points of view,” Bernice Amaziah (10) said.

As children watch the live-action Snow White, they will be exposed to the movie’s feminist views. Many think children need to hear these messages – that while it is healthy to indulge in these princesses, they should also learn to be independent. As a result, children can use their knowledge to define what it means to be a feminist. 

“If the movie is about female empowerment and knowing your own strength, then it is a good message,” Malaia Reger (11) said.

There is no true definition of feminism, but as society continues to grow it is important to find ways to normalize the idea and teach children the benefits of independence or the positives of wanting to build a family. Whether people believe that the feminist views are lacking or that they are too prominent, the controversy will only continue and persist as other movies with similar motives are released.