Security guard increase leaves students wondering reason behind decision 

Janelle Lim via Canva
The sudden stationing of new security guards has left some students startled, however their presence ensures the safety and proper behavior of the school environment.

School shootings and threats have increased significantly over the years, casting a feeling of insecurity in schools and their respective districts. On August 10th, during the annual Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) assembly, administrators unexpectedly introduced several new security guards. The sudden increase in security staff left many students wondering if there was a particular reason behind this decision. 

According to the Pew Research Center, around two-thirds (65%) of public K-12 schools have one or more security staff present on campus at least once a week.

However, Ayala’s campus has had security guards on campus every day of the week, with the number recently increasing to seven. 

“The additional eyes and ears on campus have made for a more comfortable and peaceful learning environment,” Principal Diana Yarboi said. “We definitely needed more security since the daily work of making sure [Ayala] is continually safe is very important.”

Still, many students are not aware of the reasons for the increase in security measures on campus. 

“If the decision to hire additional security guards were up to me, I don’t think I would have hired anymore. I feel like seven security guards is a bit much, but maybe there is a reason I’m not aware of,” Jeremiah Park (11) said.

Though this decision has caught students off guard, Chino Valley Unified School District (CVUSD) requires that all campuses have security officers on campus to ensure the safety of students and staff.

“CVUSD gave [Ayala] a bigger budget to spend on security, so that’s why we now have seven [security guards] on campus at all times,” security officer David “Bubbles” Beuchanan said. 

In regards to how security guards are stationed, they go through the same process as any other staff member on a school campus. The positions are advertised, candidates are interviewed, backgrounds are checked thoroughly, and the candidates that best suit the school’s environment are hired. 

“I used to be a cop in LA but I got hurt and a friend of mine told me about this job. I came here and have been here for 11 years,” Bubbles said. “I love hanging around with the [students] and I get to joke around. I love coming to work every day because of [the students]. They always make my day.”

Regardless of the reason, there is no doubt that the security guards provide a feeling of safety for both students and staff. 

“With us here, I truly feel that the kids [at Ayala] are safe. I know not because they have seven of us here, but because of the seven of us who are here,” Bubbles said.