Are sports receiving more attention than the arts?

Kaylani Hsu via Canva.com
The endeavor for equity between sports and the arts is one that is present in the minds of many across school, and is one that is not taken lightly by those affected most by it.

Sports and the performing arts are two important elements of Ayala that our Bulldogs have always taken pride in. However, many students are recently noticing a shift in the audience’s primary direction of entertainment as the school year kicks off. Audiences at sports games have continued to grow, meanwhile the number of attendees present in performing arts events have significantly declined over the past few years. 

This controversy has been aimed specifically towards the Ayala Dance Production (ADP) team. Students have observed the amount of hype directed at sports games in comparison to ADP’s.

“I would say sports are definitely more popular than ADP,” junior Allison Cho said. “Another thing with sports is it’s said on the K9 News on the announcements every single week, but I feel like ADP doesn’t do that.”

Others like Cho believe that the performing arts simply do not put in as much effort into promoting themselves compared to sports. Games are often announced days before the actual date through outlets such as K9 News, daily announcements, and social media platforms, whereas performing arts shows are revealed on a whim.

“It’s more exclusive to people who buy tickets and pay to go see them instead of them just performing for us out here,” junior Lori Kim said.

Many teenagers and young adults now are often compelled to indulge in entertainment that is simple and easy to understand, but not the artistry of music and performing. For most, the liveliness of sports such as football and basketball appeals significantly more than the careful skill and creativity of modern dance and other live performances. ADP’s student director, senior Taylor Martinez, has also noticed the difference in audience. 

“It’s usually our family members and friends [at concerts] mostly because ADP and arts don’t get as much popularity as sports,” Martinez said. “I think it’s because people don’t appreciate the arts enough. They appreciate the action of sports, but appreciating dance and theater takes a certain eye.”

However, some may not agree with the controversy that sports are more popularized. Students dedicated to performing arts likely believe the arts receive enough attention and audience. 

“I think that everyone has kind of their own audience,” varsity softball and boy’s basketball Coach Campbell said. “I don’t think you’re reaching for the same audience for athletics as you are for performing arts. You’re going to have people that enjoy both. But I don’t think that that’s a comparable thing. So as far as popularity, I think it would depend on the type of kid you’re talking to.”

Martinez continued.

“We’re fundraising a lot and trying to advertise on social media more, so we hope that gets the word out and we can get more people to come to our concerts,” Martinez said.