Student News Site of Ruben S. Ayala High School

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Staff and students share insights on recent decline of school spirit shown at spirit events

Teachers%2C+including+%28from+left%29+Mr.+Daniel+Spellman%2C+Mr.+Robert+Ly%2C+Ms.+Christy+Koenig%2C+Ms.+Christina+Hofstetter%2C+Mrs.+Jessica+Mensen%2C+Ms.+Vivian+Yeh%2C+and+Mrs.+Mariana+Jolly%2C+perform+a+Barbie+themed+dance+during+the+recent+Blackout+School+Pirates+rally+held+on+August+28th%2C+2023.+The+teachers+choreographed+this+dance+using+pool+noodles+and+pink+sunglasses+to+uplift+the+Barbie+theme%2C+due+to+the+blockbuster+movie+being+released+recently+before.+
Elisabeth Lee
Teachers, including (from left) Mr. Daniel Spellman, Mr. Robert Ly, Ms. Christy Koenig, Ms. Christina Hofstetter, Mrs. Jessica Mensen, Ms. Vivian Yeh, and Mrs. Mariana Jolly, perform a Barbie themed dance during the recent Blackout School Pirates rally held on August 28th, 2023. The teachers choreographed this dance using pool noodles and pink sunglasses to uplift the Barbie theme, due to the blockbuster movie being released recently before.

Recently, the debate about whether or not school spirit is important for students has led to the outcome of many students finding it insignificant to participate in them. The school spirit at Ayala has been declining in the eyes of many staff and students part of the Bulldog community, but it still holds a great amount of attachment to prideful, spirited students and staff members.

The reduction in school spirit shown in rallies, football games, and spirit events has been most evidence at the recent “Blackout Rally,” where some will come to wonder if school spirit will diminish altogether. 

“School spirit is really important,” sophomore Roxy DelaRosa said. “As a community we have to be united together but still have fun in school by dressing up, which allows students to be more proud of being a part of Ayala. I think school spirit is declining since there may not be as much motivation for students to participate, and it may seem embarrassing for some students to stand out. However, if we all start participating, it can be beneficial for everyone.” 

School spirit at football games also has a great impact on the football team as well, whether it includes dressing up for the Friday Night Lights (FNL) theme or simply attending to support and encourage the players as a whole. 

“The School Spirit for me is huge,” football Coach Randy Reams said. “The amount of energy the fans can bring from the crowd onto the field can help the athletes on the field rise to a higher level.” 

He further explains how long he has instilled with spirit when Coach said, “One of the reasons I teach at this school is because I was a student here and school spirit is one of my biggest things about being a part of Ayala. I always mention how I bleed red and black, demonstrating that the school spirit I have shows the desire I have to become successful in anything I do.”

Not only does school spirit affect our Ayala Bulldog football players, but it can also affect the opposing teams.

“The louder and more excited our side gets, the higher the chance the other team will get down on themselves,” Reams said. “So having a huge school spirit can definitely be a benefit to our team.”

Though an increase of school spirit comes with many benefits, some believe the decline of school spirit may be due to certain causes. 

“In USB we try to work around the lack of participation to make sure it doesn’t happen. Sometimes students believe they are ‘too cool’ to dress up, so we plan to come up with ideas that allow them to be creative and have fun with friends,” sophomore and class of 2026 president Priya Devine said.

Devine later explains that USB and leadership try to create interesting themes inspired by recent trends and high participation ideas used previously to host in school spirit activities such as Friday Night Lights, Thursday football games, rallies and more. 

The recent decline in school spirit has changed the way rallies, football games, and other typically more spirited events have been viewed by students. However, as shared by students such as Devine and DelaRosa, the benefits of participating can be not only beneficial students but the community around them.

Coach Reams leaves students who believe school spirit is insignificant with words of encouragement stating, “Get involved in as much as you can, be it a sport, band, color guard, or club. But being involved in school spirit is also a way to connect more with your school. School is definitely a place to come and have fun, so whenever there’s school spirit, get involved in it and have as much fun as you can.”