Behind the counter: an inside look on Student Store

Madison O’Neill
Managers David Kubeldis (10) and Tyler Noe (10) prepare for the rush of students who enjoy buying snacks from the student store. They both enjoy the jobs as they look over the USB clerks and make sure they are doing their part in a satisfactory manner. “[It’s] really enjoyable because you get to help the students and also help teach [USB] students valuable skills,” Kubeldis said.

The bell concluding fourth period blares through the classrooms, releasing the Bulldogs for lunch after all of their hard work. Meanwhile, the United Student Body (USB) class prepares to sell snacks, drinks, and ice cream for the students.

The Student Store, which is open every day during lunch and after school, is managed by USB whose mission is to fill the empty stomachs of the hardworking students of Ayala. The student store is quite popular, containing snacks including a variety of chips, sweets such as rice crispy treats, drinks like sparkling water, and a plethora of ice cream options like strawberry shortcake bars and orange-flavored creamsicles. The student store also sells tickets to dances, spirit wear, and physical education clothes in addition to the treats. 

The Student Store is one of the most popular places during lunch, bringing in many students and often leading to Bulldog favorites being sold out quickly. 

“ I think all of our snacks we do really well. Every day we almost sell out and every week we make really good profit,” Student Store Manager Ms. Anderson said.

In the store, the students learn lessons about public speaking, money management, and other skills that will benefit them in the future. They are expected to use these skills on a daily basis in order to communicate with the other USB students and customers. Their communication skills do not only apply to the logistics of the student store and USB program, but they create strong bonds with their peers and form various friendships. 

With few student managers to watch over the USB students’ shifts, the store is particularly organized. The small managing body allows for the process of selling goods to be manageable and simple for the workers.

“There are about two to three managers and about two [USB students] come in everyday. We overwatch the students from USB that are working,” said Tyler Noe (10), a student manager.

The managers further recognize what they need to improve on which is key to a successful business. In this case, they felt they may need to improve advertisements in order to boost the store’s sales.

“We could do a little more to advertise the student store like make an announcement in K9 news,” David Kubeldis (10), another student manager, said.

The Student Store is a great place to work, and provides some of Ayala’s best snacks. The managers do their best to keep the store organized as they sell snacks, drinks and ice cream for students to enjoy. On top of their hard work, the USB students learn various lessons and build friendships that can last a lifetime.

So what are you waiting for? Go to the student store and get all of your favorite snacks, and thank the clerks for their hard work while you’re at it!