Girls Volleyball dominates annual Pink Out game honoring breast cancer patients

Kaylani Hsu
Varsity huddles together when other team calls time-out to cheer each other on.

On Wednesday October 4, Girls Volleyball team held their annual Pink Out Game to honor and support all breast cancer patients and their families. All three teams– varsity, junior varsity (JV), and frosh– won a clean sweep during their rematch against Alta Loma High School.

For decades, schools have arranged Pink Out games during the month of October to signify Breast Cancer Awareness Month. To honor friends and families diagnosed with breast cancer, girls volleyball team hosts annual Pink Out games to fundraise through tickets, the snack bar, and merchandise. The money is donated towards clinics such as St. Jude Children Research Hospital that specializes in cancer research.

This year, the students were given new Pink Out jerseys and socks colored pink, white, and black in honor of breast cancer fighters, survivors, and victims. 

Official final scores from varsity sets were unavailable, but they were able to sweep their matches 3-0.

In JV’s first game, they swept the court winning 25-16 during the first set. Their following game was pushed close, but still ended with a score of 25-20.

The Frosh team won their games 2-0. In the first set, they struggled to keep up with Alta Loma, but eventually won 25-22. The second set was also close, but the girls overall defeated Alta Loma by a score of 25-20.

After varsity’s game, students’ close relatives and family friends who are or were fighters, survivors, or victims of breast cancer were named and honored in front of the audience.

Next week, Ayala’s last volleyball game of the season will be held at home on Monday the ninth against Claremont High School, and their final tournament will take place at Gabrielino High School next Saturday.