Student News Site of Ruben S. Ayala High School

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Is class rank fueling ambition or anxiety?

Roxy Kalantari via Canva.com
Class rank is a numerical value that represents a student’s placement in their class. Throughout a student’s high school career, this number is expected to go up and down based on how well they perform in classes, but how does this metric affect one’s perception of self-worth and motivation?

Class rank, that elusive number haunting the halls of high schools everywhere, often carries a weight both exhilarating and burdensome. It serves as a statistic that represents one’s academic success and hard work, but also fuels stress and unhealthy competition. One perspective emerged, highlighting that class rank’s very presence prompted comparisons, pushing students toward excellence, but simultaneously fostering toxic rivalry. However, others acknowledge class rank’s role as a tangible goal, a benchmark driving students to achieve.

Class rank, a statistic meant to inspire and recognize achievements, often became a source of undue stress. For many, class rank isn’t merely a number, but a mental battlefield where self-worth and academic standing collide. The recognition of a student’s achievements becomes clouded by the constant comparison with peers, leading to a detrimental cycle of self-doubt and pressure.

“Class rank makes people unnecessarily competitive for that one number. There could be someone who’s rank eight who really wants to be rank seven so they go to unhealthy measures to try and surpass their peer which is not necessary,” Michelle Choi (12) said. “There are also some people who think they are not as intelligent because of their class ranking when in reality their ranking is lower because of the weighting of certain classes such as AP and honors classes.”

Many point out that class rank is a flawed statistic. Its numerical precision often obscures the nuances of learning, reducing the multifaceted nature of intelligence to a mere rank. On top of that, while class rank can give some insights into where you are in your specific class, it isn’t a good indicator of how you’re doing well compared to other schools.

“[Class rank is] good for giving a relative placement, but at the same time, it isn’t,” AP Calculus AB teacher Mr. Adam Sjol said. “Number one at Ayala is not the same as number one at Chino Hills, which is not the same as number one in Diamond Bar. It’s different students you’re competing against and different teachers too.” 

Despite the flaws and the mental toll it exacts, class rank is a motivational beacon. It serves as a challenge, an ever-changing goalpost that propels students to achieve and strive for excellence. Its vigor allows for some students to actively gauge where they are and strive to achieve more.

“Even though class rank boosts the egos of those who are at the top and makes them feel superior to other people, it also gives them the motivation to strive for higher achievement in school,” Brandon Tse (11) said.

Class rank, while a part of the academic landscape, should not define a student’s worth. The flaws and stress it introduces highlight the need for a more holistic approach to education yet, amidst its flaws, class rank remains a motivational force for many propelling students to constantly strive for excellence. An individual’s class rank serves as a challenging goal, pushing one to surpass their own limits in the pursuit of success.