Ayala BAC comes close at 2023 Music in Motion Competition

On+October+14%2C+2023%2C+Ayala+hosted+their+annual+Music+In+Motion.+Over+25+schools+were+invited+to+participate%2C+showcasing+each+of+their+new+2023+shows.+
Kaitlyn Angeles
On October 14, 2023, Ayala hosted their annual Music In Motion. Over 25 schools were invited to participate, showcasing each of their new 2023 shows.

Last Saturday, October 14, 2023, Ayala’s annual Western Band Association (WBA) Music In Motion (MIM) competition took place in the Bulldog Stadium. Over 25 schools participated in the competition, ranging between five different classes. This was also the first marching band competition of the season for Ayala where several new elements were showcased. 

The competition opened with class 1A, consisting of the Azusa Gladstone Marching Alliance, San Marino Titan Regiment, Bloomington High School Band and Color Guard, Panther Regiment, and the Workman High School Marching Band and Color Guard. The San Marino Titan Regiment won with an overall score of 64.775. 

Following class 1A, the 2A bands took the stage including North High School, the Eagle Pride Marching Band and Color Guard, Torrance High School Tartar Band and Color Guard, Pali High Marching Band, Don Lugo Marching Conquistadores, and the Golden Valley Regiment. The Eagle Pride Marching Band and Color Guard gained victory in class 2A with an overall score of 68.800. 

Class 3A included the El Modena Vanguard Marching Band and Colorguard, Lacy Regiment, Hart Regiment, La Canada High School Marching Spartans, Highlander Marching Band, Cleveland High School Cavalier Regiment and Color Guard, and the Carlsbad High School Marching Lancers. With a total score of 75.800, the Hart Regiment won first in Class 3A. 

After a brief break, the 4A division shows began. The South Pasadena Tiger Marching Band and Color Guard, Mira Costa High School Marching Band and Color Guard, and The Pride of Casa Grande showcased their 2023 marching shows. The Mira Costa High School Marching Band and Color Guard won in class 4A with an overall score 71.600. 

After the 4A classes’ performances, the 5A bands began their shows. The Chino Hills High School band opened the division with their new show, “Constant State of Going Nowhere.” The band wowed the audience with several new components, one of which included the colorguard spraying white mist during the ballad. 

Finally, the Ayala Band and Colorguard (BAC) entered into the stadium, presenting their new production, “Off the Beat and Tracks.” As MIM is the first competition of the season for the Ayala BAC, the full show wasn’t showcased during the competition and other elements are still in the works. 

Despite the show still being developed, audience members were still impressed with the movements performed so far. 

“Their music playing was amazing and colorguard did great as well,” Silas Wu (12) said. 

This year, the band received new uniforms, lined with sequins which reflected back into the audience during the show, providing powerful visuals. Colorguard also took the stage with costumes; the beauty of their new silver uniforms and blue flags resonated with the audience. The show also featured new ice cube props, made by parents of the Ayala BAC. 

At 9:00 pm, awards began for the 3A, 4A, and 5A classes. Chino Hills High School band gained a close victory in the 5A class with an overall score of 79.250, winning in effect, percussion, and tying in music with the Ayala BAC. The Ayala BAC won second place with an overall score of 78.925, winning in visual and colorguard, as well as tying with Chino Hills in music. 

Although Ayala was close to victory, students and faculty are proud of what they’ve accomplished and hope to continue improving their show in preparation for future competitions. 

“We teach the kids that there’s always room for improvement whether it’s from a technical standpoint, performance, or musicality,” Ayala BAC director Mr. Timothy Trost said. 

“I expect our visual and musical capabilities to improve a lot for our next competition,” Ayala BAC cymbal section leader Elaina Master (11) said. “Our first two movements will also definitely improve a lot as well.”

Ayala BAC will attend a Southern California Percussion Alliance (SCPA) competition next week where more of their show will be revealed. 

“We just finished the closer on Monday,” Trost said. “We’re gonna have more of a complete show this weekend and new choreography and special effects are coming up that we just haven’t shown yet.”