Club spotlight: Ed Acts Global

David Jung
The Ed Acts Global club helps to unite students of all ages and allows for beneficial opportunities that help communities and families.

People know and love clubs for bringing together individuals that share the same interests. Whether it is cooking, robotics, or theater, each club brings something unique to the table. One club in particular embodies that. Meet Ed Acts Global, a club made to help out communities in need throughout California. They help with food drives, giving out clothes to those in need, and cleaning up the area so residents can breathe a bit easier.

The club is not only found at Ayala, but it is also a nonprofit organization that other schools have to help with their own communities. Additionally, people in the club are able to gain leadership experience through the involvement of helping others out in the area.

To plan for all of this, the club has to manage finances to determine how much is needed for each trip. Since Ed Acts is a global nonprofit organization, they have to decide where to go in the state that is not taken up by another school. It can also be discussed by advisors in the club.

“We plan finances and trips mainly through our advisor, Dr. Ramirez,” Anson Lee (12) said. “It’s a global nonprofit organization and they decide [which] kids from which areas of the country you get to go, like right now we’re paying to go to Honduras.”

Ed Act’s jobs are food drives, clothes drives, and cleaning up parks, creeks, and other parts of the community. Its main purpose is to uplift the spirits of the people living there. 

“We decide based on the community’s needs. The community is us and we are the community. We think about what it was like in the community. We’ll be helping out if there’s a dirty pipe, [we’ll] clean up the park, [and if] there’s a dirty home, we’ll clean up the home,” Rohit Marem (11) said.

Ed Acts is different when it comes to ending. When students graduate from high school, it usually means that they have to leave the club they love and cherish. However, members of Ed Acts can continue with the work even after high school. Since it isn’t a traditional school club, students can still volunteer to work as they did before when they were a high school student. 

“Ed Acts has a lot of varying ages, including people from middle school, high school, [and] colleges,” Sean Chiu (12) said.

As Ed Acts continues to help communities in need, it is important to know that the purpose is to genuinely help people in their everyday lives. If you ever see their club, try joining them, as helping those in need is its own reward.

“There’s a lot of things in our community that people don’t really like to see that often, but as a club, it can be easily fixed with everyone’s support,” Chiu said.