Club Spotlight: Cancer Awareness Club spreading love for patients

The cancer awareness club works to spread awareness and plan ways to support cancer patients with goody bags filled with all the necessary chemo-treatment essentials.

Losing a loved one to cancer is never an easy experience for those close to the patient. Families and friends often continue to suffer years after the heartbreaking death. For many, care and assistance are major aspects that those facing cancer greatly need during their time of struggles.

The Cancer Awareness Club’s purpose is to support and honor fighters, patients, survivors, and victims while also spreading awareness on the importance of prevention. Meetings are every held every second and fourth Friday of the month, located in Mrs. Sjol’s room, B124, in the English quad. This club was recently founded by one of our own Bulldogs, junior Jiaying Hou. She hopes that this new club will expand its mission beyond just Ayala.

“My mom passed away from cancer last year,” Hou said. “When she was going through chemo treatment, other organizations would give her tote bags and things to help her go through chemo.”

After being inspired by these touching actions, Hou decided to create a club in the school with an aspiring goal of supporting chemo patients and their families. 

During their meetings, the club learns of the many types of cancers from breast cancer to leukemia, to help students better understand what different patients must face. They also greatly emphasize the importance of utilizing tools such as mammograms and screenings to help with possible early detection of cancers.

“We inform our members about ways to prevent cancer within our own lives”, vice-president  Marian Lin (11) said. “We have fundraisers, that way we can support the people that we love and let them know that we’re also there for them.”

This year’s cancer awareness club staff consists of: President and founder Jiaying Hou (11), Vice-president Marian Lin (11), Secretary Jacklyn Mendez (11), Treasurer Janelle Lim (11), and UCC representative Eliana Master (11).

To interactively support patients, the club makes and donates goody bags filled with all the chemo essentials for cancer victims. These bags get sent to The City of Hope, a government funded health organization and one of the top cancer treatment and research centers in America. 

Additionally, the benefits of cancer awareness will also teach club members on how to live a healthier life by utilizing the prevention methods taught in the club.

“We’re really young so we’re still trying to just adapt to our lifestyles,” Hou said. “If we start educating people from a young age then hopefully they can start adapting to a healthier lifestyle at an earlier age.”

“We can help other people who are going through [cancer],” Lin added. “Especially since we’re in good health ourselves.”

Fighting cancer is always a difficult struggle for patients. Talking to them or simply being there for a patient while they are undertaking treatment may be a significant assistance for them. Members of the cancer awareness club will get the opportunity to help by talking and interacting with cancer patients.

Another way that students can promote cancer awareness outside of school is to join nonprofit organizations dedicated to helping cancer patients. 

“There’s a lot of donation opportunities out there,” Lin said. “Local organizations such as Peace Love Tote and the American Cancer Society also help to achieve the same goals of supporting cancer patients.”

Though the Cancer Awareness Club was only founded this year, the officers plan to expand the club as much as possible in hopes of spreading awareness everywhere they can.

“It’s been really rewarding seeing how many people want to sign up,” Hou said. “I just hope the club grows so we can help more people.”