Passing the torch: President

Chloe Kubeldis (12) passes down the torch of the president role to Zachary Chang (11)
Roxy Kalantari and Kaitlyn Angeles
Following the recent 2024 Executive Board elections, Zachary Chang (11) now tackles the role of USB President following Chloe Kubeldis’ (12) term.

As the new United Student Body (USB) Executive Board is preparing for the next term that is expected to begin in January, the previous E-board reminisces on their term and prepares to train the next batch of student body representatives. 

Growing up being in student council all his life, Zachary Chang (11) can only look forward to what’s to come as he has been announced the upcoming USB president for the new term. 

“I grew up just doing student council, so running for president, it just seemed natural for me,” Chang said. “And obviously, I just want to hear concerns of other people and try to create change.”

President is one of the current positions of the United Student Body Executive Board that oversees all events and activities held for the student body, with the goal of being the bridge between administration and the students. This also entails communicating with the various groups on campus and facilitating USB business meetings. 

As previous USB President Chloe Kubeldis (12) closes out on her term, she reflects back on what she was able to accomplish and the legacy she was able to achieve. Whether that be through voicing better events for students or making changes within the USB class itself, she left a memorable legacy that will change the outlook of the leadership class for the better.

“My biggest goal coming into this position was revising and fixing the USB Constitution, which is basically our student body’s constitution, and I was able to do that with the help of some other USB students,” Kubeldis said. “It is currently being approved by [administration] to be finalized, but that is something I am very proud about.”

As for what our upcoming USB president is hoping to introduce for the new term, he discusses the idea of implementing suggestions gained from House of Representatives meetings and further interacting with the different groups on campus.

“We plan on using the suggestions we get from the House of Reps meetings to actually implement them into our school campus and just try to make our rallies and our homecoming dances more inclusive and fun for the student body,” said Chang. 

With the role of president being a large role to fill, Kubeldis leaves a word of advice for our upcoming USB president.

“I would honestly tell the next president that they just need to kind of take a deep breath. Sometimes it feels like ‘oh my gosh like I need to do this,’ ‘I need to be doing everything all at once,’ but part of being a leader and being in this position is taking a step back and trusting other people to do the jobs that they’re assigned,” said Kubeldis. 

With the transition between the new and old officer boards, we can only look forward to what new things await us for the new year.

“I’m just excited to interact with other people and listen to their concerns and suggestions and actually try to implement whatever  the student body is looking forward to,” said Chang.