Editorial: New Year’s Resolutions

Roxy Kalantari
The approaching of the new year never fails to prompt hopeful resolutions for a better year. The Bulldog Times wishes you a Happy New Year and good luck on your own resolutions!

As the new year approaches, it’s almost uncustomary to not proclaim your New Year’s Resolutions to the world. What’s customary, really, is lying through your teeth to see how long you can convince yourself for— don’t worry, we still believe in you. In case you’ve been stumped on what to strive for this coming year, our Editor-in-Chief pried each staff member to identify their resolution to share with all of you. From the Bulldog Times unto you, we wish you all a Happy New Year, and we’ll see you all next semester!

Avery Rosas (12) — Editor-in-Chief

My New Year’s resolution is to write more on my leisure time since it’s something that I’ve always loved doing, which will be even easier now since I have a writing account on Instagram. (Follow it.) My facility with imagery and sentence structure has improved a lot, which has allowed both my prose and poetry to feel more natural and veracious, but there’s always plenty to improve on.

Madeline Khoo (11) — News and Features Editor

For my 2024 New Year’s resolution, I want to start college applications as soon as possible so I am not suffering by the end of the year.

Elisabeth Lee (10) — Visual Editor and Morale Officer

My News Year’s resolution is to wake up at 6:00 everyday and journal in the morning. After school everyday, I am going to practice for at least two hours at the range or the course.

Adrielle Kristine Dumandan — Social Media Manager

My New Year’s resolution for 2024 is to reach 100 houseplants inside my bedroom. Typically and inevitably, as the year goes on, a couple of my dear plants wither and lessen the count. However, as I’ve continuously noted down tips and hacks to keep my precious leaves alive and thriving, I believe it’s possible to achieve triple digits in the next 12 months! Goodbye money!

Kaylani Hsu (9) — Assistant Sports Editor

My New Year’s resolution this year is to better my own mindset and mentality by working on being healthier and happier and trying more new things.

Rachel Dunn (12) — Assistant Features Editor

My New Year’s resolution to get my sleep schedule on track. My current routine is staying up extremely late every night and I know it isn’t maintainable. So for the upcoming year, I want to start going to bed earlier.

Jiaying Hou (11) — Assistant News Editor

My New’s Year’s Resolution is to drive more comfortably on the freeway. Although freeways are intimidating to me, I hope in the New Year, I’ll be able to confront my fear of the highway as well as merging and take less time driving only locally to locations.

Stephanie Lyn (11) — Open Canvas Manager

[I want to] be more mindful about where and what I spend my time in, to spend less time on my phone and more in the Bible.

Gianna Spagnolo (12) — Secretary

My New Year’s resolution is to finally get my dog Mandy to go on a walk.

Ryan Wu (12) — Staff Writer, Web Master

I want to get better at playing guitar and singing at the same time consistently. Some songs are really difficult in my opinion so focusing on both singing and playing the correct chords is a challenge. I can only really do this for a few songs at the moment, but I’d like to get better.

Abby Le (12) — Staff Writer, Sports

My New Year’s resolution is to get my screen time under 10 hours for each day of the week before summertime. Currently, my screen time is 10h+ for at least 3 days of the week, which is not good! I should put my focus on things like school and friends rather than being on my phone all the time. In the summer, it’s less detrimental, but during the school year I need to lock in.

Angelina Zhao (12) — Staff Writer, Visuals

My New Year’s resolution is to create an army of Garfield cats to overtake my dog and force him to like other animals before the end of the year.

Janelle Lim (11) — Staff Writer, Social Media

My New Year’s resolution is to actually clean my room every Sunday, because I tend to accumulate a lot of junk on the daily. I love having a clean room so this would definitely improve my mood and motivation for the week.

Roxy Kalantari (10) — Staff Writer, Visuals

I think that my New Year’s resolution is going to be to read more books. I used to be addicted to reading but I guess I just kind of grew out of it. I would love to get back into it.

Ayushka Chethan (10) — Staff Writer, Sports

My New Year’s Resolution is to be able to end the second semester with straight A’s and an average of 15-20 points in my basketball season.

Kaitlyn Angeles (9) — Staff Writer, Visuals

I would want a decent or good grade by the end of the year so that I could feel better about myself for getting good grades and knowing that I passed the class. I would also like to spend less money because my self control is not that good and the amount of money I have is decreasing quickly.

Laila Kumar (9) — Staff Writer, Social Media

My New Year’s resolution is to manage my time efficiently so I can have time to care for myself and others. Even when I am not at school, I would like to ensure that for the time I am on a break or over the weekend that I am sticking with a consistent schedule. I want to improve my self-care habits like skin care, hair care, and mental health and understand when to take breaks.

Aniya Grant (9) — Staff Writer, Sports

My New Year’s resolution is to practice new study techniques because I want to do better on my quizzes and tests next semester. If I learn to study more efficiently I can perform better and get better final grades next semester.

Lia Dimapasok (9) — Staff Writer, News

My New Year’s resolution is to keep my room clean for longer than a week because I have been physically incapable of doing so for the past 14 years.

Madison O’Neill (10) — Staff Writer, News

My New Year’s resolution is to try not stressing out about everything because I feel like this year has been a very stressful and busy school year full of great changes, and I feel like if I want to continue to do that, I have to keep on looking at the good in things happening in my life rather than the bad or what could go wrong.

David Jung (10) — Staff Writer, Visuals

My New Year’s resolution is more interactive with others. I want to be more outgoing yet not completely change who I am. I want to keep the parts I like and add what I need.