Student News Site of Ruben S. Ayala High School

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Comedian Jo Koy embroiled in Golden Globes criticism

Elisabeth Lee
After his first go at being the Golden Globes host, comedian and actor Jo Koy has found himself in controversy surrounding the questionable jokes made during his opening monologue.

On Sunday, January 7, the 81st annual Golden Globes awards took place, featuring comedian and actor Jo Koy as the appointed host. As per award show tradition, hosts tend to bring a more audacious flair to their performances, with Koy being no exception. However, Koy’s comedic style and certain remarks have generated mixed reactions among all social media users alike.

The response to Koy’s monologue has been diverse, with some expressing dissatisfaction on social media. The attempt at humor regarding Taylor Swift and the comparison between the Golden Globes and the NFL received varied reactions, with Swift’s apparent lack of amusement setting an early tone for the night. 

A particular point of contention was Koy’s commentary on the Barbie movie, which some interpreted as veering into misogyny by focusing on physical attributes. The live audience’s reactions, including visible displeasure from figures like Helen Mirren and Selena Gomez, as well as members of the Barbie movie cast and crew, added an additional layer of complexity to the situation. 

“[Jo Koy] completely missed the point of the Barbie movie,” said Violet Ballou (9). “Instead of recognizing the messages of female empowerment, he simplified it to a superficial focus on the more physical attributes of Barbie.”

On social media, more criticism of Koy’s remarks emerged with individuals labeling them as inappropriate, insensitive, and reinforcing harmful stereotypes. This online backlash further heightened existing scrutiny surrounding the Golden Globes, which has faced controversies in recent years. 

Koy’s response to the criticism also became a focal point, as he defensively shifted blame onto his writers and the limited time he had to prepare for the show. This response, perceived by some as a half-hearted acknowledgment of missteps, contributed to the ongoing discourse surrounding the incident. 

The aftermath of the Golden Globes saw diverse reactions from viewers, with some expressing disappointment in both Koy and the Golden Globes for their choice of host. This incident has caused some discussions to arise regarding the vetting process for hosts and the overall tone of future award ceremonies. 

“I believe [Jo Koy] intended to bring laughter and create an enjoyable atmosphere for everyone, but it seems his good intentions were executed somewhat poorly,” said Elizabeth Yu (9).

Students acknowledge that although Koy had good intentions, there were jokes that ultimately fell flat in their execution.

“I think Jo Koy tried his best but there were definitely some jokes that could have been delivered better,” said Benjamin Park (9).

In the aftermath of the Golden Globes, Jo Koy is facing ongoing scrutiny, prompting calls for accountability and reflection on the role of comedians in addressing sensitive topics.