Pledge of Allegiance: To say or not to say?

There has been a noticeable decline in the Pledge of Allegiance participation within the classroom. Students and teachers are not mandated to say the pledge, often leaving the classroom full of silence during the fourth period announcements. “It’s just quiet. Students just arent into it. I think students dont even want to say it out loud,” Integrated Math 3H and AVID 9 teacher Joy Rouchon said.
Pictured: Roman Soto (12)
David Jung
There has been a noticeable decline in the Pledge of Allegiance participation within the classroom. Students and teachers are not mandated to say the pledge, often leaving the classroom full of silence during the fourth period announcements. “It’s just quiet. Students just aren’t into it. I think students don’t even want to say it out loud,” Integrated Math 3H and AVID 9 teacher Joy Rouchon said. Pictured: Roman Soto (12)

As years have passed, there has been a noticeable decline in the Pledge of Allegiance participation within the classroom. Students and teachers are not mandated to say the pledge, often leaving the classroom full of silence during the fourth period announcements. Whether it is because of personal beliefs or a lack of knowledge about the pledge, everyone has their own personal reasons as to why they do or don’t participate.

Some students on campus do not feel like the American flag is worth being said, as they are not proud of the country’s history. They choose not to say it because of their own personal values, which is allowed by the first amendment – the right of speech. These students are often found sitting during the pledge or doing various other activities.

With that being said, there has been a noticeable decline in participation after specific events happen, like the passing of a bill or the new election of a political member. After the Black Lives Matter protests and the police riots for example, more students felt inclined to not participate in the Pledge of Allegiance during that time. This results in many students not only refusing to say it, but also not even standing for it as their own form of protest.

“After certain big events involving our government, I notice a decline. However, when everything ‘looks’ good or not big things are going on in protest, everyone stands,” Elijah Ortega (12) said.

The Pledge of Allegiance means several reasons to a multitude of people. It can mean a promise of loyalty to the United States, a tradition, or a way to honor our country and citizenship.

— Elijah Ortega (12)

For others, saying the Pledge of Allegiance is a big part of the person’s upbringing and feels that the flag should continue to be respected.

“I have a lot of pride in the fact that I’m an American. My dad’s a Vietnam veteran and we always hung our flag on holidays,” Integrated Math 3H and AVID 9 teacher Joy Rouchon said. “It’s always just been like a special thing to me. It just feels like it’s part of my life. It’s just what we do.”

In the end, choosing whether or not to say the Pledge of Allegiance is a personal choice that does not affect one another.

“The Pledge of Allegiance means several reasons to a multitude of people. It can mean a promise of loyalty to the United States, a tradition, or a way to honor our country and citizenship,” Ortega concluded. “Standing for the pledge to me is a way of showing respect and honor to our country.”

1
View Comments (1)
$235
$500