Robo Hunters: The new after school craze

Angelina Zhao
Robo Hunters’ main attraction involves their many claw machines where customers can use tokens to test their luck and try to win a plush toy.

Flashing fluorescent lights. Rows of claw machines filled with toys. Shelves full of niche character figurines. Taking the place of the old H&M, Robo Hunters is a new entertainment toy store that gathers the attention of local, frequent shoppers with its addictive claw machines. Post-school hours, as the Shoppes flood with drained students looking for some quick thrill, this store is the perfect destination for someone looking to have some fun.

Robo Hunters offers a plethora of items for customers. Being partnered with the bigger parent company, POP MART, this location combines the concept of a claw machine arcade with a character-focused entertainment store. In the front of the store, customers can see the extensive line of glowing claw machines, enticing them to take a chance at gaining a prize. As patrons explore deeper into the building, they will recognize the old racks of clothes from H&M have been emptied and replaced with new, clean shelves of anime figurines and even popular blind boxes. Robo Hunter’s doesn’t just please customers visually; the price they offer for products is ravishing, as they can compete with online retailers without hitching up prices. 

“The store is really appealing since it [costs] only one dollar per token and the smaller machines are one token per play so it’s relatively cheap,” Cassie Du (10), who has been to Robo Hunters three times now, said. “You never know what to expect as you walk into Robo Hunters. Somedays you might leave with a prize and others you might leave empty handed, but that’s the fun in it.” 

Robo Hunters not only has claw machines, but sells a variety of action figures and other merchandise. (Angelina Zhao)

As the store is still relatively new, patrons will be delighted to hear that more exciting additions will be available as the owners continue renovating the back of the store. By changing up the products available often, there is little chance for frequenters to get a chance to get bored. Just recently, the back of the house has been including new machines and displays for dazzling jewelry and slick watches. That being said, most shoppers are more attracted to the figurines and plushies that this location offers. 

Junior Melody Chang recently started working at Robo Hunters and offers more insight on the demographic and target audience this store aims towards.

“A wide range of people come into our store [like] kids, teens, parents and grandparents, so I would say we offer a product for a diverse audience,” she said. “I think the target audience is mostly focused on children and teens since most of the items are cartoon and anime related.”

A student carefully lines the claw with the prize and attempts to grab and win this cinnamoroll plush. (Angelina Zhao)

While Robo Hunters has clearly developed an appealing exterior to customers, betting against the chances of winning is a different conversation. No one likes losing, especially when their money’s on the line. Every arcade can customize their claw machines at different rates for winning, but typically, there is a successful pull in one out of 15 plays. Senior Lillian Wu gives her thoughts after visiting Robo Hunters for herself.

“The shop was really enticing from the outside and I heard a lot of good reviews from my friends,” said Wu. “I was a little disappointed when I went though. Maybe I simply have bad luck, but after spending $10, I wasn’t able to get the plushie I wanted. I understand that with claw machines there is a lot of chance and strategy so maybe I was just that unlucky.” 

As more and more people become aware of Robo Hunter’s new opening, more people will flock and try the machines out themselves. For the best chances of winning a prize and having the full experience of this arcade, patrons are advised to try their luck when the store is busiest.