Student News Site of Ruben S. Ayala High School

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Ayala boys golf team prepares for their upcoming season

Elmer Alcantara
Members of the Ayala Boys Golf team pose at the 5th annual Ayala Golf Classic.

As the spring season approaches, Ayala’s Boys Golf team has already started preparing for the Palomares League with upcoming scrimmages and pre-season matches. On-course and range practices recently began at Los Serranos Country Club. Unfortunately, due to harsh weather conditions, matches and certain practice days have been canceled or postponed.

Led by varsity coach Ron Capps, junior varsity coach Kenny Donovan, and assistant coach Michael Poland, the 2024 team consists of 24 players – 12 in varsity and 11 in junior varsity. The varsity team consists of captain Parker Gorospe (12), Branden Chen (12), Lawrence Chen (12), Kian Devine (12), Jaxon Ednilao (12), Silas Wu (12), Ian Munroe (12), Marvin Xiang (12), Ryan Koo (12), Kyle Liu-lai (11), Daniel Lee (11), and Jake Hirose (10). The junior varsity includes Aaron Barajas (11), Mick Sumner (11), William Weng (11), Brendan Hooton (10), Elijah Ketelsleger (10), William Li (10), Ryan Archuleta (9), Ethan Hu (9), Mahesh Ravichandran (9), Max Sumner (9), and Mars Weng (9). 

According to Coach Capps, the roster is not finalized and is subject to change at any notice. With a greater number of students on the team than in previous years, a three team format will most likely be implemented, however Coach Capps stated that the structure and details of such are also to be determined. 

Last season, the Bulldogs won Palomares League Champions in a tie with Claremont High School. The JV team ended as Undefeated Palomares League Champions. Hoping to keep their title, both the coaches and players plan on working together to secure yet another victory. Still, winning that title isn’t the team’s top priority—getting better throughout the season is their main goal. 

“We’re not worried so much about wins and losses, we’re worried about trying again and just getting to the next level. But if we do that, then of course, then we’ll be successful as well. So, securing league championships isn’t foremost in our minds, but hopefully that’ll happen as we work on our other goals,” Coach Donovan said. 

The boys will have much to work toward and train for, especially as Walnut High School and Diamond Bar High School are projected to join the Palomares League in the 2024-2025 school year. The stakes will be raised and climbing up the ladder will pose a larger challenge. Through a plethora of upcoming tournaments such as the out-of-state Myrtle Beach competition during Spring Break, the players will have a chance to exercise their skills on the course. 

“The shared goal of achieving the best team score adds an extra layer of motivation and resilience, fostering a sense of unity and support among team members. When you have a bad day on the course, you are about to give up, but you tell yourself can’t because every stroke you make matters to the overall score as a team. You want everyone to play well because you take the best five out of six, whereas in your normal tournaments, you only have to focus on yourself,” Golf Booster Treasurer Teresa Soong said. 

The 2023 Ayala Boys Golf team poses together during their season banquet (Ayala Golf)

Although scores and titles are important in the league, they aren’t the only highlights of the upcoming season. The Bulldog golfers also hope to grow closer to one another on top of going as far into CIF as they can. Being in Division II, the team may have a more difficult time placing higher in the ranks, however the experience and the effort they put in is what matters in the end.

“I’m really looking forward to spending every practice and match with my teammates and coaches, and I hope that we make it far in terms of league and CIF,” Hooton said.

The Bulldog Times wishes the Boys Golf Team a successful season as their first match of the season is scheduled for Wednesday, February 21.