AP Spanish exam date interferes with senior trip

Elisabeth Lee
With the AP Spanish exam falling on the same date as the Senior Disneyland trip, many are being excluded from one or the other. “I feel frustrated with being unable to go. Ultimately, I will take the AP Spanish test since it can give me credits for college if I pass it,” Edoardo Arredondo (12) said.

On May 16, Ayala seniors will have the option to go to Disneyland for their senior trip. However, as exciting as this may sound, many AP Spanish students will be excluded from the fun as the Ayala senior trip and the AP Spanish exam date fall on the same day. While the exam is only in the morning, the majority of the Disneyland day will be over once the exam is finished. For many, paying full price for only a half day at Disneyland is not worth the money.

The main perk of taking any AP test is for the college credit and the only way to get it is by taking the exam. While there are other perks like the State Seal of Biliteracy or the GPA boost, most students take AP exams for the college credits. On the flip side, Ayala’s senior trip is something that seniors can experience only once and is an opportunity that many people don’t want to miss. Seniors are being forced to choose which event their money will go towards.

“I think the AP Spanish test should have been scheduled on a different date and not on the same day as the Disney trip. I will end up taking the AP test because it will help me earn more credit for college which is worth it to me,” Ava Pak (12) said.

Since many students are choosing to take the AP Spanish test, rather than going to Disneyland, those who are participating in the trip may not have their friends with them because they are taking the test. This may lead to even less participation in the Disneyland trip this year.

“I think that the AP Spanish test falling on the same day as our senior trip is disheartening because even though I’m not taking the AP test, some of my close friends are and that prevents us from going on the senior trip together. I might not end up partaking in the senior trip,” Juliana Llanos (12) said.

Not only are the students frustrated about this interference, but the AP Spanish teachers also feel the same way.

“I am a little disappointed that the planning went wrong,” AP Spanish teacher Mrs. Claudia Reynolds said. “I did send an email to administration, but no one ever got back to me. Whoever makes these kinds of trips needs to plan better.”

Despite the efforts put in by the AP Spanish teachers, the outcome has remained the same. As it stands, the AP Spanish exam is scheduled to fall on the same day as the Disneyland trip, disappointing many seniors.