Student News Site of Ruben S. Ayala High School

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Black History Month: Not just a meme

David Jung
A college fraternity, Omega Psi Phi, performing on the library stage to show their culture to students during Black History Month.

From the 1st of February all the way to the 1st of March, the United States, along with Canada, recognizes these days as a part of Black History Month. This was first declared in 1976; however, over the years, it feels as if the true meaning of Black History Month has faded.

Before evolving into the month that has become universally known, it was just a small celebration known as “Negro History Week” only acknowledged by cities who petitioned for it. After the Civil Rights Movement, “Negro History Week” grew into “Black History Month” after being recognized on many college campuses across the country. From there, Black History Month became a historical celebration acknowledging the neglected accomplishments of African-Americans across the world. This year specifically, the month has been dedicated to “African-Americans and the Arts.”

“There are a lot of inventions that they do not talk about and I think that a lot of people realize that there’s a lot of stuff that are around here right now that black folks have been in, but they don’t get the recognition for it,” Jason Wiley, a security guard on campus said.

“A lot of stuff came from black inventors and black musicians and things like that, people don’t even know,” Leviticus Staggers (12), the secretary of Black Student Union said. 

Over the years, Black History Month has shifted from being a cultural month, promoting the history behind many black inventions and their role in this country, to becoming just another meme on social media. On these platforms, creators tend to post acts such as people kneeling down and treating black people with more respect than normal. While this is humorous, and makes people want to do the same, it has its pros and cons. For example, a benefit of this recognition is that it gets people to remember and acknowledge that it is Black History Month. On the other hand, it distracts from the true meaning of Black History Month. 

“It teaches you about our culture and how we run things,” La’Maya Epps (12), the president of Black Student Union said. “I would say at the school it’s a little hard to represent Black History Month because being at school I have been very insecure about my ethnicity and culture, a lot of people talk down and make fun of it.”

Black History Month was meant to highlight black culture as well. This includes cuisine, fashion, and much more. Many people assume that all black people like foods such as chicken and watermelon; however, there is so much more. At cookouts, dishes such as greens, gumbo, cornbread, and sweet potato pie are also served. In more prominent African countries, clothing items such as dashikis are worn on a daily basis. To add on, there are many cultural black groups, such as sororities and fraternities on college campuses.

One of these groups came to our campus, to bring light to the cultural dances they perform as well as to let people know these types of groups exist. Omega Psi Phi, a historically black fraternity, performed on the library stage, dancing to the song “Atomic Dog” by George Clinton, which is a staple in many black households.

They showcased what it means to be black by representing their culture and not being ashamed to do so. In modern times, this type of bravery has faded in controversy of being criticized for being who you are.

I think that we’re the most beautiful culture that’s ever been on this planet and being black is special, not everybody can be black.

— Jason Wiley, security guard

That being said, Black History Month should be a time for black folks to be recognized instead of feeling as if no one cares and that it is just another month. This is the month to be proud of who you are, not ignoring it, as it is not just another meme. 

“I know a lot of black students on this campus don’t feel that connection with themselves and I just want them to feel comfortable and safe, and I want them to know that they are loved and to embrace yourself because being black is such a beautiful thing,” Epps said. 

To bring light to some black inventions, here are a few:

Ironing Board – Sarah Boone, 1892

Three Light Traffic Signal – Garrett Morgan, 1923

Automatic Elevator Doors – Alexander Miles, 1887

Home Security System – Marie Van Brittan Brown, 1966

“[Black History Month is] a very important month to recognize what has been done [by] African Americans all across the world, not just even in the U.S.,” Staggers said. 

2
View Comments (2)
Donate to Bulldog Times
$235
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Ruben S. Ayala High School's Bulldog Times. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs and purchase equipment.