What your backpack says about you

Janelle Lim
It might be surprising to hear, but backpacks can show a lot about a person, from their personalities to styles. Check to see what your backpack says about you!

As students there will always be one thing in common amongst us: backpacks. It carries everything a student needs at school from a packed lunch to the loads of homework given every day. Some students use one because they have to, but others find it as a way to express themselves. Nevertheless, there are definitely some stereotypes that come with the color or brand of backpacks; turns out they can tell a lot about a person!

If you wear a…

Plain Black Jansport Backpack

Black Jansport bags are a classic, and often the first backpack choice for many. Stephanie Lyn (11), Jiaying Hou (11), and Isabel Sim (12) pose with their matching, but slightly varying backpacks. (Elisabeth Lee)

Price: $55

You like to blend in

If you ask any high school student what backpack they have there’s an extremely high chance that this is their backpack. You probably stick to what’s basic and never try anything new. It’s a classic, good quality backpack that helps you blend into the entire student body. If you haven’t accidentally switched backpacks with someone, you are one of the lucky ones. Also, you’re most definitely either a minimalist or maximalist. It’s one or the other, there’s no in between!

Plain Black NOT Jansport Backpack

Ian Kim (12) poses with his plain black Adidas backpack. “My backpack has a pop of color so its not too boring,” Kim said. Madeline Khoo

Price: $55

You like the basics, but don’t want to be stereotyped 

If you have a plain black backpack but it’s not from Jansport, you probably want the pros of having a black backpack but you don’t want to blend in. You also probably dislike Jansport backpacks for being “basic,” but forget that you are too. But unlike plain black Jansport bag users, you are a perfect balance of minimalist and maximalist. 

“I like my backpack because it has a clean look, and black goes with everything. I wear monochromatic outfits and neutral colors so having this backpack is convenient,” Ian Kim (12) said. “My backpack also has a pop of color, so it’s not too boring.” 

Fjallraven Kanken Backpacks

Kankens are on the more aesthetic spectrum of backpacks, and the owners often decorate them with numerous keychains. “I think my backpack really represents who I am, especially with everything I put on it,” Charlene Cheng (11) (Madeline Khoo)

Price: $90

You are the trendiest person in the room

Although this backpack was designed for hiking and outdoor activities, it has quickly become a trendy and fashionable backpack. You probably have really well coordinated outfits, and love collecting different cute pins or keychains. There’s even a really big chance you have a bubbly and outgoing personality. 

“I like my backpack because it’s been through so much with me,” Charlene Cheng (11) said. “I also like it because it’s not too big or baggy, and it has a nice silhouette.”

Kipling backpacks

Connor Kwon (11) shows off his Kipling backpack. “My favorite part of my backpack is all the cool keychains I have on it,” Kwon said. (Madeline Khoo)

Price: $90

You probably like keychains 

Kipling backpacks are iconic for their classic gorilla mascot and keychain that comes with all of their bags. But this one keychain was probably not enough for you, and there’s a good chance you have a whole collection to keep the gorilla company. Similar to Kanken users, you like expressing yourself through your accessories, but are more quiet and brooding. 

“I like the noise my zipper makes, and my backpack is dual colored, so it’s not basic,” Connor Kwon (11) said. “The handle is big and it comes with a cool keychain.” 

Fun Kid Backpacks

As a fun tradition, many seniors tend to use backpacks meant for little children. It commemorates their last year in high school, and is a nostalgic throwback to those carefree elementary days. Gianna Spagnolo (12) poses with her Marvel themed backpack. (Elisabeth Lee)

Price: $15

You’re either a senior, or just missing those elementary days

If you have a fun kiddie-themed backpack with bright colors and cartoon themes, you are probably set to graduate in a few months, or reminiscing about those carefree elementary years when all we had in our backpacks was a packed lunch, a folder, and some pencils. Whichever of the two you are, it’s guaranteed that you know how to have fun and you probably just realized how convenient the numerous pockets that kiddie backpacks have actually are.  

***

Of course, these are only stereotypes and they might be completely off the mark. Nevertheless, it is interesting to see how different backpack users can have some similarities. So take a look at your own backpack and ask yourself: what does it reveal about me?