“Mamma Mia!” takes Ayala by storm

Mamma+Mia%21s+main+cast+and+ensemble+cast+come+together+to+perform+a+large+number%2C+featuring+Janelle+Ann+Medina+%2811%29+as+Sophie+Sheridan+front+and+center.+
Christian Marquez
“Mamma Mia!”‘s main cast and ensemble cast come together to perform a large number, featuring Janelle Ann Medina (11) as Sophie Sheridan front and center.

The Ayala High School multi- purpose room (MPR) buzzed with energy and excitement as the curtains rose for the highly anticipated production of Mamma Mia! directed by the talented Mrs. Madeleine Sherratt, with Maya Shah (11) as Assistant Director.

While students Celine Kwai (12) and Maya Mansour (12) led the play as music directors, Aneeza Laqueo (11) and Kinidi Townes (10) mesmerized the audience with their beautiful choreography. Behind the scenes, technical director Dania Nasreldeen (11) also played a pivotal role in ensuring that the play went smoothly. 

Pictured left to right, Lily Schaumann (11), Abby Lane (12), and Alex Sacramento (12) perform the infamous trio number of “Super Trouper,” as Tonya, Donna, and Rosie. (Christian Marquez)

Opening night on Thursday, March 7, marked the beginning of the musical’s three day run, closing with one final performance on Sunday, March 9.

From the infectious melodies of “I Have a Dream” to the groovy beats of “Dancing Queen,” Act I transported viewers to the sun-soaked Greek island. Standout performances included Abby Lane’s (12) portrayal of Donna Sheridan in “Chiquitita” and the ensemble performance of “Super Trouper.”

Following a brief intermission, Act II delved deeper into the story. Janelle Ann Medina’s (11) portrayal of Sophie Sheridan shone brightly in numbers like “S.O.S” and “Slipping Through My Fingers,” while Lily Schaumann (11) and Alexandra Mari Sacramento (12) brought comedic charm to the stage as Tanya and Rosie, respectively. 

“Getting to the audience enjoy watching the musical as much as we enjoyed performing in onstage was probably the most rewarding part about this experience,” said Erin Horner (11), Tanya’s understudy.

As the final bows were taken on the closing performance of March 9, it was clear that Mamma Mia! had left an indelible mark on both the performers and the audience alike. The main cast, led by Lane as Donna Sheridan, delivered amazing performances. Additionally, Medina’s portrayal of Sophie Sheridan showcased her versatility and talent, earning her well-deserved praise from both attendees and cast members.

“I’m really proud of everyone in the cast, the directors, and just being able to be apart of something this big,” said Sacramento. “Our hard work really did pay off because opening night was amazing.”

Karly Welsh (11) performs a duet in the musical number “Does Your Mother Know?” alongside Lily Schaumann (11) as Pepper and Tonya. The number also features the rest of the ensemble cast. (Christian Marquez)

Evidently, the magic of Mamma Mia! at Ayala wasn’t just showcased in its production values or catchy ABBA tunes, but in the passion and dedication of everyone involved. From the directing of Mrs. Sherratt to the stellar performances of the cast, Mamma Mia! was a hit amongst all. As the curtains closed one final time, echoes of “I Have a Dream” lingered in the air, ending the show with one last fateful tune.

“Watching [the students’] growth from rehearsals to opening night is just a full culmination of everything that they’re capable of and everything that they’ve achieved,” said Sherratt. “Seeing everything come to fruition just makes me so emotional and so proud.”