[Playlist] English Teacher Tunes

Kaitlyn Angeles
Here are songs from English teachers that show their music preferences, revealing what they like and who they are as a person.

Music tends to show one’s personality; knowing what someone’s favorite songs are provides insight as to what they are like and allows one get to know others more. Ayala’s English teachers are vibrant and always have an interesting take on life —learning about their favorite tunes further emphasizes each of their personalities. 

Mrs. Jessica Mensen (English 9): “Super Trouper” by ABBA

She described it as being a good song to dance to due to its catchy tune. This particular song is recognized from the movie musical Mamma Mia! so it is often nostalgic to older audiences. Still, ABBA’s songs are still loved by many due to their vibrant nature and exciting melodies.

Mrs. Laura Grissom (English 10 Honors and Advanced Placement Literature): “Maybe Tomorrow” by Stereophonics

The mellow melody and the raspy, tenor voice of the lead singer is the reason Mrs. Grissom cherishes this song so dearly. She stated how perfectly the song matches her “disappointed idealist” personality and view of life. 

Ms. Katy Amirtash’s (English 11 College Prep): “(Don’t Fear) the Reaper” by Blue Öyster Cult

“(Don’t Fear) the Reaper” is one of Ms. Amirtash’s favorite songs because of its calming beat, and with the songs’ profound lyrics, it is still a song that can be listened to no matter the occasion. 

Mr. Michael Rodriguez (English 12 CP): “Natural Science” by Rush

By just one listen to it, you will understand how good it is. This song has a good beat that includes different elements, including a deep meaning to it.

Mrs. Kimberly Barreras (English 9 H/English 10 CP/AP Research): “God’s Eye” by Dax

This uplifting song spreads the truth about God and with the belief that music reaches one’s inner soul, Mrs. Barreras tries “to listen to music that has to do with God, the truth, and goodness.”

Mrs. Mayra DeLa Torre (English 9/10): “Innerbloom” by Rufus du Sol

Mrs. DeLa Torre’s favorite tunes are rather motivational and last for a long period of time with a longer duration than most other songs. Still, who doesn’t enjoy a long song? She describes “Innerbloom” as a song with a “melody that is both peaceful and upbeat.” 

Mrs. Zhijing Fan (English Language Development): “You Raise Me Up” by Josh Groban

This Christian song chosen from Ms. Fan is a recognizable song to many, and is a strong message of God, strength, and power. “Every time I listen to this song, it makes me feel like no matter what happens, HE is here raising me up,” Mrs. Fan said.

Mrs. Lenee Ives (Leadership/English 10): “She” by Green Day

“She” is a song that has been with Ms. Ives ever since she was a young girl which is why it resonates so deeply with her. The nostalgia and message which the song brings provides Ms. Ives with a sense of support and belonging. “In this song, the woman that is struggling is screaming her frustrations to her partner or best friend and I feel that my friends are my support system,” Ms. Ives said.

Ms. Robin Yim (English 9): “Both Sides Now” by Joni Mitchell

Ever since Ms. Yim was a young girl, she loved “Both Sides Now” due to how beautiful it sounds. “The lyrics illustrate that there are highs and lows in life and love, and that there is always more to learn and experience,” Ms. Yim said.