NCAA Men’s March Madness 2024 Recap

Kaitlyn Angeles
With the recent onslaught of March Madness, millions of avid fans from all over the nation got to see different teams, rivalries, and plays from this year’s NCAA tournaments.

For the past 85 years, March has brought 68 college basketball teams, millions of fans, and prideful students across the country together. Every year, these teams participate in a single-elimination tournament, ultimately crowning the men’s college basketball national champion of Division I basketball. 2024 was no different, as many turned their attention to the dominating teams of the season prior to March. Fan favorites included reigning champions, University Of Connecticut (UConn), Purdue, Houston, Duke, and Iowa.

The tournament started on March 17, with Selection Sunday, in which all 68 teams were seeded and the official bracket was released. After the First Four games, weeding out the lower tiered teams, the remaining teams were narrowed down to 32 by March 18. Following this, the teams would be eliminated to the “Sweet 16,” the “Elite 8,” and the “Final Four” respectively, until the championship game which took place on April 8.

The excitement kicked off with the First Four games in Dayton, Ohio, on March 19 and 20. Wagner College secured a narrow victory over Howard with a score of 71-68, while Colorado State dominated Virginia with a convincing 67-42 win. Grambling and Colorado also emerged victorious in their matchups, paving their way into the next round.

As the tournament progressed to the Round of 64, thrilling matchups unfolded. Teams battled fiercely to advance, with Michigan State, Duquesne, Creighton, and Arizona securing their spots in the next round with impressive wins. Notable upsets included Duquesne’s victory over Brigham Young University (BYU) and Oakland’s stunning win against Kentucky.

The suspense heightened into the Round of 32, where top seeds faced off against determined opponents. Marquette, Purdue, and UConn showcased their strength with impressive victories, while upsets like North Carolina (NC) State’s win over Marquette added an unexpected twist to the tournament.

As the field narrowed down to the Sweet 16, teams fought tooth and nail for a chance to advance with UConn, Alabama, and Purdue showcasing their dominance. Notable matchups included UConn’s commanding win over San Diego State and Alabama’s thrilling victory over North Carolina.

In the Elite Eight, the tension reached its peak as teams battled for a spot in the Final Four. UConn’s dominance continued with a resounding victory over Illinois, while Purdue secured their place with a hard-fought win against Tennessee. NC State and Alabama also punched their tickets to the Final Four with impressive performances.

The Final Four matchups saw Purdue facing off against NC State and UConn taking on Alabama. Purdue emerged victorious over NC State with a 63-50 win, securing their spot in the championship game. Meanwhile, UConn showcased their strength with an 86-72 win over Alabama, setting the stage for an epic showdown in the championship game.

In the highly anticipated championship game, UConn delivered a stellar performance, overpowering Purdue with a final score of 75-60. With this victory, UConn won the title of the 2024 NCAA Men’s March Madness tournament champions, claiming the first back-to-back titles since Florida 17 years ago.