Student News Site of Ruben S. Ayala High School

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Ayala Choir’s Vocal Ensemble takes the stage at Carnegie Hall

Gaby Ladrido
Ayala Choir’s Vocal Ensemble performs alongside several other high schools in Carnegie Hall. “Being able to perform in Carnegie Hall is very, very big,” said Choir Director Mr. Robert Davis. “I know that this experience is going to be something my students will remember for the rest of their lives.”

On Friday, April 6, Ayala Choir’s Vocal Ensemble graced the Carnegie Hall stage alongside other schools such as Mount San Antonio College (Mt. SAC) and Providence High School with a performance of unparalleled brilliance. Under the guidance of their esteemed conductor, the ensemble presented “Iluminare,” a collection of five songs: “Splendor,” “Caritas,” “Nox,” “Munera Pacis,” and “Illuminare His,” composed by Elaine Hackenberg.

The choir’s journey of preparation began in November, with the ensemble dedicating countless hours to mastering each composition. 

“The biggest thing was making sure that before we got all the plane, we knew all the pieces extremely well,” said choir director Mr. Robert Davis. “Although we started learning it in November, we really spent the bulk of our time learning it in February.” 

The intensive rehearsals throughout February ensured a seamless execution of the songs, as Vocal Ensemble aimed to achieve perfection before their journey to New York.

Guided by a shared commitment to perfect their performance before the trip to New York, the ensemble came together as a group and displayed their unwavering determination and perseverance as they continued to practice for countless days on end.

“Even once we got to New York, we had rehearsals everyday,” said Vocal Ensemble member Ferdie Garce (11). “It was really cool to rehearse with all the other schools as well since they were such amazing singers. Just performing together gave me this sense of accomplishment, and I was just really happy to be there in Carnegie Hall with everyone.”

Vocal Ensemble rehearses alongside other high schools for their performance of major work “Illuminaire.” (Gaby Ladrido)

As the date of the performance drew near, the ensemble’s arrival in New York marked the culmination of months of tireless preparation. Rehearsals at Carnegie Hall provided an opportunity for final refinement, as the ensemble fine-tuned their performance under the guidance of seasoned professionals.

The performance at Carnegie Hall marked a significant milestone for the Ayala Choir’s Vocal Ensemble. It was a clear demonstration of their hard work and dedication to delivering a polished performance on such a renowned stage. As the final notes echoed through the hall, the ensemble basked in the glow of their achievement, knowing that they had left an indelible mark on Carnegie Hall.

“At the end of the day, I think the friendships I made along the way and the great people I was able to meet were far more important to me than just being in Carnegie Hall,” said Vocal Ensemble member Joevontae (Joe) Jacobs (10). “Just being able to perform with all these amazing people was the most rewarding part.”