Varsity softball girls continue undefeated streak against Bonita Bearcats

Abby Le
Despite the tight score, the Bulldogs in our Varsity Softball team pushed through to continue their season’s streak of wins.

On Monday, the Ayala Bulldogs took on the Bonita Bearcats, a highly-anticipated rematch as both teams have been looking to be on top of their game thus far into the season. The Bulldogs are still on their winning streak, boasting an 10-0 league record and a first place league standing. The Bearcats are following close behind in their second place position with an 8-3 league record.

In the top of the first, Bonita took to the plate first. They were quickly shut down by the Bulldogs’ defense, getting out by first base twice and one pop-fly out. The Bulldogs allowed no runs for the Bearcats. In the bottom half of the inning, the Bulldogs also couldn’t get through the Bearcats’ defense. Neither team scored, putting the score at 0-0 after the first inning.

The second inning followed a similar pattern. Neither team put up any runs and the score remained at 0-0.

In the third inning, the Bearcats didn’t score any runs. In the bottom half of the inning, the Bulldogs began to bring the action to the game. They scored two runs of their own, putting the score up 2-0 in the Bulldogs’ favor after the third.

In the fourth inning, Bonita fought back and put up a run in response to Ayala’s efforts. Ayala did not score any runs in their half of the inning. This put the score at 2-1, still Ayala in the lead.

The fifth, sixth, and seventh inning were quiet for both teams. Neither scored any more runs. This put the final score at 2-1, securing the eleventh win in a row for Ayala.

On Ayala’s side, Junior Isol Lopez shined at the plate, hitting one double out of two hits. Sophomore Lilianna Acosta had two Runs Batted Ins (RBIs).