Boys Volleyball sweeps Cowboys during last game of the season

Kaylani Hsu
Seniors Chris Meave, Kazuki Kiuchi, Kellan Wong, and Micah Luck commemorated in front of the audience as their family join them on the floor with congratulatory posters.

On April 18, both Junior Varsity (JV) and Varsity boys volleyball teams won the last games of their season during a rematch against Chino High School’s Cowboys. In their previous game, both teams had dominated and carried those scores into their final game with JV winning 2-0 and Varsity 3-0.

In JV’s first set, the boys triumphed with a score of 25-25. Freshman Devin Lu (#26) showcased two amazing hits, one bouncing directly to the floor and the other straight into his opponent’s face.

Their spirit continued into the next game as they finished with a tighter score of 25-22. During the game, sophomore Jaden Hernandez (#12) scored with a block on the opponent, and freshman Omar Hamzah (#14) led a serving streak with two aces in a row.

Before the Varsity game began, four graduating senior athletes were commemorated by the audience and teams. Bulldogs Kazuki Kiuchi (#11), Kellan Wong (#19), Chris Meave (#19), and Micah Luck (#16) were escorted into the gym by family members holding massive posters decorated with each senior’s name, jersey number, and photos. Once they were congratulated by head coach, Brandy Townsell, the entire Varsity team joined them in their last photo together before starting their warm-up.

After the heartwarming ceremony, the Varsity team immediately fought as they swept the court 25-10 with unexpected setter dumps from junior Alex Way (#5) that won them several points.

During the second set, the game evened out as Ayala led to the first timeout from the Cowboys with a tight score of 17-13. After coming together and encouraged by the coach, the Varsity team stopped their opponents from catching up as they reached the second timeout 23-14 and wrapped it up 25-17.

In the third set, the Cowboys finally pushed back and had a brief lead before the Bulldogs surged forward and ended the game with a shocking 25-12. On the last point, the server immediately won through an amazing topspin ace, serving at the Cowboys with ease and leaving the audience ecstatic.