Student News Site of Ruben S. Ayala High School

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Varsity Softball suffers their first loss of the season

David Jung
After weeks with a perfect 12-0 record, the Varsity Softball team faced their first loss of the season during a rematch against Bonita High School.

On Friday, April 19, Ayala’s Varsity Softball team faced off against Bonita’s Bearcats for the third time this season. In their past two meetings, the Bulldogs have taken the victory, winning once 10-4 and again 2-1. The recent league champions were looking to put a third win against the Bearcats under their belt, but in a shocking turn of events, their twelve game win streak was cut off by their opponent. The Bonita Bearcats took the victory in this game with a score of 7-0.

Prior to this game, Ayala held a 12-0 league record and Bonita had a 9-3 record. The two teams respectively took the first and second place positions in the league.

For a majority of the game, both teams went back and forth with their formidable opponents. Neither team was able to score any runs for a whole five innings worth. Defenses were strong on both teams, but as was their respective offenses.

On the Bulldogs’ offensive side, they managed six hits against the Bearcats’ pitcher, Kaitlyn Maaske (12). McKenzy Becerra (11) hit a double. However, many Bulldogs found themselves left on base at the end of innings, totaling seven times. On the defensive, junior Taelor Walker had six putouts and junior Jordyn Balingit had five, proving their strong efforts against Bonita.

But it wasn’t enough, as in the bottom of the sixth inning, the Bonita Bearcats snuck in seven runs off of three doubles and two singles in their final chances. Ayala was unable to answer in the top of the seventh, making the final score 7-0, the Bonita Bearcats taking the victory.

The Bearcats hit four doubles and had seven Runs-Batted-In. On the defense, sophomore Serenity Reyes was responsible for an impressive eleven putouts. Despite the high score toward the end, their pitcher, Maaske only struck out three Bulldogs.

Ultimately, the Bonita Bearcats put a stop to Ayala’s impressive season and cut off their perfect record.