Student News Site of Ruben S. Ayala High School

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Is “BookTok” ruining literature as we know it?

Lia Dimapasok via Canva.com
“BookTok”‘s influence on literature has initiated debates over substance, diversity, and reading motivations, raising questions about its impact on contemporary reading culture.

Picture this: you walk into your local Barnes & Noble looking to explore some fresh new book options. Immediately, your eyes are drawn to a prominent display labeled #Booktok, adorned with an array of vibrant book covers that practically beckon you closer. Curious, your hands reach for “Icebreaker” by Hannah Grace. However, as you skim through the book, you’re met with a surprising abundance of mature themes that seem extraneous with the book’s outward appearance. Odd. You try your luck again and pick up another book, “It Ends With Us” by Colleen Hoover. You skim through it and notice that once again, a good amount of the book is, for lack of a better word, mature. Perplexed, you survey the rest of the display, only to discover that a significant portion of the books are bereft of the substantive plots you’ve come to expect from literature and replaced with.. well.. problematic themes.

This is a direct result of “BookTok,” a sub-community on the social media platform TikTok dedicated to books and literature. With the ever present influence of social media these days, “BookTok” has indelibly shaped the way new readers discover and engage with literature. However, amidst its popularity, “BookTok” has raised some controversy and questions about its inhabitants and the negative impact it might have.

The “BookTok” community has been filled lately with discussions about the types of books gaining traction on the platform. One prominent critique revolves around the lack of substance in many popular recommendations.

While it’s true that literature often delves into complex and uncomfortable themes, the concern arises when these elements overshadow the plot itself. This can lead to a saturation of superficial storylines. Instead of exploring nuanced themes and developing complex characters, these books rely on provocative content to capture attention. Consequently, readers may miss out on the opportunity to engage with deeper ideas and experience the full potential of literary exploration.

“When books just have no substance, it kind of kills the vibe,” Chloe “Coco” Hong (9) said. “It’s like they’re missing the point of what books are actually supposed to be about.”

Another pressing issue within the “BookTok” community is the lack of diversity in the books that receive widespread attention. Despite the vast array of stories available, many popular recommendations prominently feature white protagonists and narratives. This lack of representation raises concerns about the erasure of diverse voices in literature. 

By predominantly centering stories around white characters and experiences, “BookTok” may inadvertently perpetuate the marginalization of underrepresented groups. Moreover, the absence of diverse perspectives limits the richness and depth of storytelling within the community. When readers are exposed to a narrow range of stories, they miss out on the opportunity to engage with books that reflect the full spectrum of a good story.

“I feel like ‘BookTok’ is kinda stuck in its own little bubble,” said Elizabeth Yu (9). “It’s all the same stuff with the same kind of characters. We need more books that represent different people and their stories, not just the same thing over and over again.”

Another common argument brought up is how most “BookTok” readers are drawn to books simply for the social stature they bring. The phenomenon of reading books primarily for their cool factor has become increasingly prevalent, with readers seeking titles that enhance their personal image or align with their desired online persona. 

When readers prioritize books based on their perceived coolness or popularity on social media platforms, they may overlook the importance of indulging in literature with real substance and meaning. Instead of selecting books that genuinely appeal to their interests, the self proclaimed “BookTok” readers may opt for titles that enhance their social standing or contribute to a curated online identity. 

“These days, people are just reading books because they think it makes them look cool. They don’t even care about what’s inside, they just want to show off,” said Reagan Ruiz (10). “It’s like, come on, read because you actually enjoy it, not just to look cool for all your Instagram followers.”

Ultimately, while “BookTok” has undoubtedly revolutionized the way readers discover and engage with books and all things literature, it also has us questioning the direction of contemporary reading culture. The prevalence of books lacking substance, the lack of diversity in popular recommendations, and the phenomenon of reading for social status all raise concerns about the impact of “BookTok” on literature.