Indoor rally leaves students feeling excited about the upcoming school year

Roni Minogue

Seniors chant along to the Bulldog spell out.

Olivia Mendoza

For the first time in over three years, the students of Ayala anxiously waited in anticipation for the return of indoor rallies. Leaving behind any trace of COVID-19, the entire student body filled the gym last Friday for the first fall sport rally of the school year. 

In an attempt to prepare for the rally, United Student Body (USB) students had to hit the gas pedal and go bigger and better than ever before. For many that were unfamiliar with the structure of an indoor rally, this meant humongous posters, louder music, and the unforgettable cheering and banter between classes in the stands. 

“Being our first indoor rally in three years, I knew it had to live up to the hype and I believe it did,” senior class President Logan Del Rosario said. “It was awesome to see the class engaged and excited.” 

This Jurassic Park themed rally had everyone on their feet, cheering for their fellow peers on performing arts students of the month, varsity leveled teams, athletic trainers, as well as the editors for the yearbook and Bulldog Times that were all recognized for their outstanding achievements. But easily one of the most notable moments from any rally are the class competitions. 

Each grade level highlights individuals that are willing to showcase their talents in front of the entire school. As graduate Lyle Tiu (C/O 2022) remained a standout for his four years at Ayala performing live music, sophomores Jeremiah Park and Janelle Medina followed his lead and performed one the most memorable class comps for the student body. 

While singing a rendition of “Blowing in the Wind” by Bob Dylan, Park and Medina instantly blew the entire crowd away. 

“I wasn’t planning on performing for the rally. We had a couple of people who were already interested, but all of our plans ended up falling through,” Park said. “I volunteered to perform the night before the rally. We got to school at 6:30 am on Friday morning and practiced for about 15 minutes before I had to leave and start setting up for the rally.” 

As the performance continued, all the lights in the gym shut off as students turned on their flashlights to follow along to the harmonious melody being played. 

For every grade level, returning to a form of normalcy proved to be a way to increase school spirit across campus. For freshmen, many remained excited about the energy that each class had to offer. 

“Middle school rallies are just assemblies that may bore some kids, whereas in high school, people look forward to the rally and are excited when it means that everyone has a chance to be part of such a spectacular event,” freshman Ethen West said. 

But while the rally may seem flawless to the rest of the student body, the hard work for those behind the scenes does not remain unnoticed. 

With new class officers, advisors, and location differences, USB students had to prepare months before the actual event. Coming in during summer and staying late after school were all some of the small sacrifices these students made in hopes of lighting a fire of school pride for their fellow Bulldogs. 

“Now that we have had our first indoor rally, I really felt the spirit of our class,” Del Rosario said.