Bulldogs ends their varsity football season with a crushing defeat

Avery Rosas

Ayala High School visited Corona Del Mar High School in Newport Beach for the CIF Division 4 bracket.

David Rodriguez, Staff Writer

Opening up to the first round of the 2022 Division 3 CIF Southern Section Football Playoffs on November 3, Ayala came up short with an end to their season with a defeat towards their opponent, Corona Del Mar. Going into this game, Ayala was coming off of a blowout win against Bonita finishing their regular season with a record of 8-3. Their opponent, Corona Del Mar, entered this game off of a crushing defeat against Edison also entering the playoffs with a record of 8-3.

Playing on their home field, Corona Del Mar would start the game kicking off to their opponent with Ayala on the receiving end on their 20 yard line. Ayala would be the first to make a touchdown during the game with a 22 yard touchdown by #3 Bryan Wilson, but would miss their chance to add one more point with their miss on their field goal kick.

The first quarter would end with Ayala taking an early lead against Corona Del Mar 6-0. Corona Del Mar would match their opponent in the second quarter with #8 Russell Weir completing a touchdown from an 11 yard pass by #18 David Rasor along with one-upping them with a second touchdown by #7 Colin Pene and completing their field goal. Ayala wouldn’t fall short too fast though as they would respond with a 52 yard touchdown by #19 Enrique Ybanez along with completing their field goal tying with their opponent to end the first half.

Entering the second half, Ayala would kick off to start the third quarter of the game with Corona Del Mar would make the first points in the second half with a 29 yard field goal by #7 Colin Pene. Corona Del Mar would be the only one to add points to board in the third quarter, but Ayala would come back within the fourth quarter by immediately responding 1 minute into it with a touchdown.

#3 Bryan Wilson would throw a 41 yard pass to #6 Marquis Monroe and would complete the field goal attempt to retake the lead of 20-16. This lead would be short lived as Corona Del Mar would score two touchdowns and complete both field goal attempts in the fourth to end the game with a final score of 30-23.

This game would serve to be the final one of the season for Ayala as they are now looking towards the next season and on how to make a return to the playoffs while Corona Del Mar is preparing to continue pushing on through the playoffs with their second round playoff game against Chaparral High School on November 11.