Teacher appreciation: the decline since the end of elementary school

Since+high+school+students+have+finished+their+elementary+school+education%2C+giving+gifts+to+teachers+has+been+on+the+decline.+Because+of+this%2C+students+start+to+struggle+about+how+they+can+make+their+teachers+feel+appreciated.+%E2%80%9CI+dont+think+that+%5Bstudents+are%5D+purposely+not+appreciating+%5Btheir+teachers%5D.+%5BTeacher+appreciation+is%5D+not+necessarily+something+thats+said+or+known%2C+Mrs.+Pezzolla+said.+
Madison ONeill
Since high school students have finished their elementary school education, giving gifts to teachers has been on the decline. Because of this, students start to struggle about how they can make their teachers feel appreciated. “I don’t think that [students are] purposely not appreciating [their teachers]. [Teacher appreciation is] not necessarily something that’s said or known,” Mrs. Pezzolla said.

From gift cards to thoughtful handmade presents, elementary teachers used to receive an assortment of gifts that represented the appreciation they received from their students. But in high school, students are much less likely to give gifts whether it be due to their lack of time, awareness, and supplies, leaving some teachers to feel underappreciated. 

Lack of time and awareness is one of the biggest reasons why many teachers do not get as many gifts from their students as elementary school teachers do. Especially with high school students having to juggle between six classes with extracurricular activities, the work builds up and leaves no time to remember these appreciative efforts.

“I just think that everyone’s lives are super busy, and I feel like it’s just our modern society,” Ms. Amber Pezzolla, Integrated Math 1 teacher said. “We’re just trying to get through our days [and] we don’t necessarily think of other people.”

Having six classes also means having six teachers in high school rather than the one or two teachers in elementary school, making it harder for the students to get supplies or resources whether it be money issues or something else. 

“I feel like I would give my elementary teachers more than my high school teachers because in elementary school, we only really had one homeroom teacher,” Fiza Ahmad (10) said.  

As for cost, some students feel that they have to buy their teachers gifts to make them feel appreciated. However, this is not true. Students can show their appreciation by saying hello and even talking to them casually. This can make the teachers feel like the students really care about them more when they are just teaching.

“I feel like you don’t need to get them a present [and you can show appreciation] just by talking to them because I know some teachers [have] students [that] are scared of them,” Gaby Ladrido (10) said. “Talk to them, make them feel appreciated, and see them.”

As students go on with their days, most of the time they do not think about others, much less their teachers. Teachers are a major part of a student’s educational experience, so making them feel like they are appreciated is vital and is the least that students can do. Even though gifts can cost a lot of time and money for most people, they can make their teachers feel appreciated by just a simple hello when they walk in the door and making simple side conversations after teachers finish teaching their lesson. Don’t forget to say thank you to your teachers next time you see them and show appreciation in the ways you can!