Alumni of Ayala: Mrs. Jacqueline Saiid

Roxy Kalantari
As an alumna, Mrs. Saiid is proud of being a teacher at Ayala. “I was already familiar with the campus, so it felt like home to me,” Saiid said.

Limits. Derivatives. Antiderivatives. AP Calculus is often a class that is notorious for being deceivingly simple in the beginning, but complicated and difficult as time goes on. Even so, from a young age, Mrs. Saiid knew at heart that she was going to be a math teacher, and when she took calculus herself, it was set in stone. 

Mrs. Jacqueline Saiid, an alumna of Ayala, is a teacher for AP Calculus AB and BC and has been teaching for the last 11 years. She is well loved across campus by her students, from both her AB and BC classes. 

“She’s really likable, and has such a great personality,” AP Calculus BC student Martin Lizardi (12) said. “That just always makes it easier to approach her and get help whenever you might need it.”

Mrs. Saiid is notorious for walking around her class, always in search of a student that might need help. Her open personality and commitment to helping students, helps them feel at ease even in a higher level class such as AP Calculus. 

As one of the two teachers that teach AP Calculus on campus, Mrs. Saiid is well loved by her students for her bright smile and kind personality. (Roxy Kalantari)

“She’s always scouring the classroom for anyone that needs help,” AP Calculus AB student Amanda Noguez (11) said. “You can really tell that she’s willing to help anyone. She’s just so kind and I think that’s what makes her stand out”.

From the very beginning of her teaching career, Mrs. Saiid knew that she wanted to teach at Ayala. 

“I loved the school spirit and energy [when I attended Ayala],” Saiid said. “[The students and teachers] were always so nice.”

When she was an Ayala student, Mrs Saiid was a player for the varsity tennis team and an active participant in both Key Club and National Honors society. And of course, her favorite subject was always math. 

“I’ve always enjoyed math, and helping other students in my class,” Saiid said. “I tutored them too, and I always knew I liked to teach.”

Mrs. Saiid’s former trigonometry teacher, Mrs. Williams served as her role model for becoming a teacher. Though she liked the idea of being a math teacher, it wasn’t until she met Mrs. Williams that she truly felt the call to become a teacher.

“A lot of students didn’t like her because she was so strict,” Saiid said. “But she was such a good role model, and I personally really loved her teaching style. I remember thinking that I wanted to be like [her] one day.”

As if the campus was waiting for her, the previous math teacher at Ayala had retired during her time as a student teacher, and the spot was immediately offered to her. 

“I honestly didn’t even apply to any other district, which maybe was not the smartest choice if I didn’t get hired here,” Saiid said. “But [Ayala] was always my top choice and I truly do feel really lucky to be working here.”

Though math may not be everyone’s favorite subject, you can always expect Mrs. Saiid’s class to be full of smiles and laughter from the students. 

“She always has a smile on her face and it seems like she’s always happy,” Lizardi said. “I think that that happiness just naturally projects onto us.”