Student News Site of Ruben S. Ayala High School

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Bulldog Times

Inside Out Winter Sports Rally: A new core memory for students

Avery Rosas
The seniors participate in the bulldog spell out to finish off the rally. The Class of 2024 won first in the contest with their spirit and excitement.

On Friday, January 12, students celebrated the accomplishments of winter sports teams during the Inside Out themed winter sports rally. Along with honoring different teams around campus, the rally also served as a way to increase school spirit. 

Joy (Ms. Mariana Jolly), Anger (Ms. Amy Campbell), Sadness (Mr. Randy Reams), and Fear (Mr. Robert Ly) began the rally by introducing themselves to the audience. Each teacher transformed into their character as they fully embodied the personalities and appearances of each emotion. 

An exhilarating performance by the Ayala Dance Production (ADP) followed introductions, heating up the atmosphere in the gym. 

In addition to the performance from ADP, there were also numerous dance and musical numbers given by each grade for the class competitions. 

The Class of 2027 started the competitions with their dynamic small group hip hop dance. 

Class of 2026 followed with a Korean-pop dance cover with elaborate formations and detailed dance steps. Continuing the line of group dances, Class of 2025 performed their dance piece which consisted of precise and powerful movements. Lastly, Class of 2024 performed a cover song with live instruments and vocals. 

“We practiced a lot for our dance to try and make the performance good,” performer Kelly Gao (11) said. “I thought that the competition was fun to participate in.”

Girls varsity soccer gets recognized for their dedication to the sport and accomplishments during the season. The winter sports rally honored many other teams such as football, water polo, basketball, golf, and wrestling.
Pictured: Sabrina Abu-Wishah (12), Roseanna Ashak (12), Katelyn Barrozo (12), Abby Bassett (12), Mikayla Benavidez (10), Kaylee Bergeron (12), Isabella Contreras (12), Haylee Dean (10), Abigail Foster (12), Greta Amanda Genie (12), Drew Harries (12), Jaelynn Hillenbrand (10), Sienna Hopple (12), Alyssa Lee (12), Preslee Malavenda (12), Viviana Naranjo (12), Lauryn Park (12), Linda Prudencio Mata (11), Summer Sibbrel (11), Amrita Sivanesan (11), Sofia Torres (12), KatieTrinh (11), Khalea Turingan (12), Ava Uresti (12), Kylie Wilbanks (12) (Avery Rosas)

As this rally mainly honored winter sports on campus, numerous teams were called up to the stage for their accomplishments. Varsity wrestling and girls soccer were admired for their hard work throughout the season. In addition, varsity girls basketball, varsity boys basketball, and varsity girls soccer were recognized. 

Throughout the rally, there were Inside Out game segments to break between sports recognition and performances. Each class sent up representatives to participate, integrating the element of class spirit and competition in the rally. After an intense round of hockey, the juniors were able to gain victory. 

The rally concluded with each grade participating in the Bulldog Spell-Out. Although each class showed much spirit, the Class of 2024 won with their energy and enthusiasm which surpassed the rest of the grades. 

Freshmen class officers passionately lead the Class of 2027 in the Bulldog Spell Out. The officers were decked out in pink gear for spirit.
Pictured: Kyra Lau (9), Hiya Sarvaiya (9), Kieza Martinez (9), Lucas Liu (9), Kathleen Chang (9), Laila Kumar (9), Don Kumar (9) (Avery Rosas)

The Bulldog Spell-Out, along with all other rally components are fully directed and organized by the United Student Body (USB). Preparation for rallies starts weeks before, and lasts all the way until the minutes before students enter into the gym. 

“Some challenges that come along with planning rallies are definitely time because we had less than two weeks to paint and organize everything,” Director of Rallies and Assemblies Marian Lin (11) said. “Since we were in such a time crunch, communicating with coaches, teachers, and students on performances was a little challenging as well.”

Despite the short amount of time USB had to organize the rally, many students appreciated the details in the rally and are excited for the future ones. 

“I thought the rally was high energy and I could tell that USB put a lot of work into it and that they spent a lot of time,” Kiran Wong (11) said. “They also had a lot of different performances which was cool.”