EVs: the impact and future for ICE cars

David Jung
This EV is carrying a legacy with its name–Mustang, meaning that name could still live on in a different form.

Gas is a source of energy that has been used for over a century in cars.  Gas cars, also known as the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE), provide a way for people to reach a destination in times people thought would be impossible. However, with the rise of electric vehicles (EVs), the prospect of owning a gas car is becoming slimmer by every day. With new waves of upgrades, discontinuation of gas cars, and laws phasing out gas, EVs are looking to become the new normal for cars. 

In recent years there has been a massive jump in the development of EV technology. EVs may seem new, but they have existed since the 1800s. The reason why they were largely ignored until recently is because of a lack of consistent energy sources. Since the batteries from before had very limited energy, it wasn’t worth it compared to the ease of refilling with gas. However, with plenty of upgrades in boosting both the energy and the storage, it fixed such a problem and even allowed EVs to surpass ICE cars in terms of mileage. EVs only need a charger to refill, which can cost about $10, compared to paying about $50 in gas.

“I like the technology that comes with it, not having to worry about gas prices or other things like maintenance, oil change, and things like that. [It] really was a big incentive for me,” AP Spanish teacher and Tesla Model Y owner Mr. Edgar Hernandez Estrada said.

Hyundai’s IONIQ 5, a newcomer that’s quickly gaining recognition in the EV industry.
(David Jung)

Another thing to keep in mind with EVs is the fact that ICE cars are being discontinued each year. The reason for this is either due to low sales profits or, the main reason, introducing new EVs instead. This year alone, 28 cars were discontinued to be replaced with new, energy-efficient electric models. Some of the cars include legends like the Dodge Charger and Challenger, which have been staples of car culture since the 1970s. Other cars include the Ford Escape, Kia Stinger, Mazda CX-9, and Nissan Maxima. However, this means they will have to sell those ICE cars off to put in the new models, meaning they could be at a cheaper price during buying times.

“I feel like cars being discontinued will affect a lot of people because they are probably going to end up being the most affordable for first[-time] car buyers,” said Alex Poitres (10).

By 2035, California will enact a law where every car, SUV, and pickup truck sold has to generate zero tailpipe emissions. It means that while ICE cars are currently allowed and available, when that law comes into effect, all of them will be outlawed. This is due to the California regulators trying to fight back against climate change and other environmental problems. By doing this it has led manufacturers to try to think of other ways to provide fuel for their vehicles, like using biofuel or hydrogen fuel cells. 

Right now the path for EVs is looking very promising. Even with the recent slowdowns in sales and production, people do believe that they will overtake ICE and become the future for cars. While it is sad to see many iconic ICE cars phased out, it’s for the sake of a cleaner and safer environment.

“I feel like it’s bad that these classics are getting kind of destroyed and ruined and neglected. But I mean, at one point we’re gonna have to move on and look to the future,” Micah Luck (12) said.